Bluex's 78 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the long awaited thread about my 78. Please bear with me as its going to take sometime to get it up to the current date. Some of the pictures are very old from disposible 35mm cameras. They arent the greatest espically after having to be scanned in. You youngins got to remember that there wasnt always cheap digital cameras. :rofl:

Here is the truck as I got it from my dad in 1996 (actually this is later right before paint). He bought it a few years before that and put the wheels on it and painted the bumper and mirrors black. They were white when he got it and he hated that. I think he had it about two weeks before he painted them.

You must be registered for see images attach

The summer before my senior year of high school I worked all summer and had some body work done and had it painted back the stock color. This was a cheap paint job and with the body work, installing new hinge pins/bushings and aligning the doors and a new tailgate it cost me roughly $1100....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The next thing I added was some 15x10 chrome saw blade wheels and 275/60/15 tires. The windows were also tinted and I put on some fog lights. I cant really remember the exact order of that stuff....

Then I got rear ended....

Car that hit me

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got a bumper off a suburban and ran some molding down the sides to hide the dent in the tailgate to fix it.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point it needed a motor. My dad worked at napa an got a reman long block for it plus anything else needed an we got a little bigger cam for it than stock. I can't remember the exact specs. If you look at one of the pictures above you can see the header mufflers hanging down. I ran it like that for about a month. Saying it was loud is an understatement :rofl:

Parts

Stock engine

New engine

I entered it in a car show an placed second. The judge told me had my engine bay been cleaner I would have won. So I cleaned it up an added some chrome....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then a wheel bearing went out an I drove on it to long causing it to ruin the spindle. I talked my dad into a lowering kit since the spindle had to be replaced. He only agreed if I put air shocks on the back so he could still haul targets with it for his gun club. So after about a 14 hr day with some friends it was lowered.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I absolutely loved the stance it had an how the wide tires looked all the way around. Unfortunately any little pothole or dip in the road caused the front fenders to rub on the sidewalls of the tires. :bawl: I looked into having the front fenders rolled for clearance but all the body shops told me to get different wheels because it would be cheaper :(
So I sold the 15x10's to a coworker an ordered a set of 15x8.5 for the front an 15x10 for the back again since there wasn't any issue with the rear.

I had always thought I wanted these wheels but I honestly never liked them...

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
:word: I'm glad he finally made a build thread and can't wait till he gets it all loaded up to current I'm so jelly of the 78

sent from the c1500 Denali