BluePrint Engines Reputation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my 383 from Summit and had it delivered to the shop that did the engine swap. I dropped off the truck the day the engine was delivered and had it back in about a week and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
This is the one we specifically do for vortec trucks. OR...you could buy the vortec TBI intake and put it in a TBI truck also.
https://blueprintengines.com/products/gm383-vortec-truck

OR...we have a BUNCH of other engines with vortec heads, but you're getting into higher stall converters, and upgrading fuel systems to support them.

you can order direct through us via our website or calling in also. Or as noted, we're carried by the nations top performance retailers.

Reaction score
Sent you a PM, Mr. Johnny from BluePrint. I'll await your reply. Thanks for joining the forum!

Just a quick update here, Been working with Crusty junker here on some diagnosis, Nice guy, and want to help him pinpoint his problem. As noted this is just a blueprint short block, so its a bit hard to pinpoint issues that involve so many other MFG's parts, but we're trying!!!

Some common things to note (in relation to any of our engines, not necessarily to crustys situation)

Aluminum heads require better than OEM intake/head gaskets. Felpro or cometic or similar designed for aluminum heads are recommended if you're putting aluminum heads on one of our short blocks.

Do not use synthetic oil during break in: its slicker than standard oil, and can wear the cross hatch off the cyl walls before the rings seat

on aftermarket aluminum heads, be sure to thread seal the rocker studs if they are through-bolts. the engine can suck oil past rocker studs.

obviously the TBI engines the OP asked about are long blocks with cast heads, but wanted to toss some of this out there for others coming across the thread, or interested in a short block.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Just a quick update here, Been working with Crusty junker here on some diagnosis, Nice guy, and want to help him pinpoint his problem. As noted this is just a blueprint short block, so its a bit hard to pinpoint issues that involve so many other MFG's parts, but we're trying!!!

Some common things to note (in relation to any of our engines, not necessarily to crustys situation)

Aluminum heads require better than OEM intake/head gaskets. Felpro or cometic or similar designed for aluminum heads are recommended if you're putting aluminum heads on one of our short blocks.

Do not use synthetic oil during break in: its slicker than standard oil, and can wear the cross hatch off the cyl walls before the rings seat

on aftermarket aluminum heads, be sure to thread seal the rocker studs if they are through-bolts. the engine can suck oil past rocker studs.

obviously the TBI engines the OP asked about are long blocks with cast heads, but wanted to toss some of this out there for others coming across the thread, or interested in a short block.

Yep, it's true. I'd also like to put it out there I'm not blaming Blueprint for my problems, just asking for advice. As he had stated, I'm using a lot of different components from different manufacturers, plus accountability for myself as an installer. This wasn't Blueprint's build or a complete crate. So I was still responsible for proper break-in and tuning. My engine has been out of warranty, so I'm not looking to get anything out of it. That's pretty good customer service to me. :waytogo:

Also not to mention, I praise the benefit of the doubt...He's actually working with me. Not the "you must have messed it up," approach you can get from some manufacturers without troubleshooting.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I, for one, am extremely happy to have a BluePrint representative on the forums.

Thanks for stopping in and addressing concerns, Johnny. Hope you stick around! Maybe we can convince you to buy a GMT400 and be one of us. :lol:

Reaction score
I, for one, am extremely happy to have a BluePrint representative on the forums.

Thanks for stopping in and addressing concerns, Johnny. Hope you stick around! Maybe we can convince you to buy a GMT400 and be one of us. :lol:
I have an 86 k10. Its an oddball that came from the factory with a 1 piece rear seal block, but perimeter bolt heads and a carb. Also has the large spline 700r4 (which allegedly didn't exist until 1987) So i'm with you guys in spirit...i'm just 2 years older.lol

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I’m selling the truck with the 383 to help pay for another truck. I can’t find the info packet that came with the engine, the sales invoice from Summit Racing when I purchased the engine, or the invoice from the shop that did the install. Is there a label or tag on the block, or any way to identify the engine as a legitimate Blueprint engine?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
So I’m selling the truck with the 383 to help pay for another truck. I can’t find the info packet that came with the engine, the sales invoice from Summit Racing when I purchased the engine, or the invoice from the shop that did the install. Is there a label or tag on the block, or any way to identify the engine as a legitimate Blueprint engine?

I can't speak for the replacement crates, but my short block had a complex-shaped metallic tag RTV'd to one of the freeze plugs. I'd imagine if there's a warranty, all of them should have this.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll have to get in there and look for it. Thanks for the info.