Blown rear is annoying THE HELL out of me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I am certain my rear speaker on the drivers side is blown on my 1996 Silverado C1500 Ext. Cab. It sounds so crinkly when I play any song off my head unit and it's getting on my nerves. I tried to replace it before but got no where since I seriously don't want to crack my interior panels in half.
Is there ANY WAY I can cut power to this thing without getting to it?
Could I crank the music in hopes of completely blowing it out so NO SOUND comes from it at all?

Please help...I can't drive happily with this damn speaker...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could always just pull the head unit out of the dash and cut the wires to that speaker...

I'd do both if I were you.

Actually no, if I were you I'd replace the speakers... But you get my meaning haha.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's some instructions for replacing them if you decide to tackle it the right way.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Or, for an even quicker fix, just adjust the fade/balance to be as far away from the left rear as possible, but it won't sound very good. Maybe you could find a happy medium just tuning it closer to the right and front.

One1999Chev

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive tried messing with the fader but my head unit is cheap and the fader seems to only go one way, and that it completely towards the blown rear speaker. It does sound very very bad lol.

I also tried to get a start on removing some interior plastic but it already cracked and I didn't even get a single piece out. Not going to mess with it. I might just chop it.
This is my beater and I doubt id be able to sell it to anyone for a half decent price anyways.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You WILL crack the panels. Just have to decide which is more important to your sanity, your plastic panels or sound quality?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont use rear speakers. I just put 6"ers in the doors and run the rear output to those. Then I play with the fader to get my front stage right. Ive never gone to a concert and turned my back to the band, so I never understood having music coming from behind.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turn up the treble to your 4 x 6 speakers and install a subwoofer for the lows.