Biggest Tire Possible on Stock Suspension and Setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck Finn

Reaction score
Have 265 /55/20s on mine, no rub what so ever, stock suspension, wheels off newer suburban, nice wide look.Speedo only 4 mph off, actually going 4 faster than reading. Have 255 65 17 on my 96 and Speedo still accurate.

BigBadRegCab

Reaction score
I ran 35/12.5/15 with full crank and minor trimming to the bumper no rub on my 88. It had OK power. Would I do it again? Hell no. I'd run 285/75/16 with no crank or minor cranking. BTW I also have 3.42
I was thinking about doing this exact thing accept I don't know what my gear ratio is, it's a 96 Chevy 5.0L 4x4 not the Z71

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this exact thing accept I don't know what my gear ratio is, it's a 96 Chevy 5.0L 4x4 not the Z71

mark your tire with chalk at the 12 o'clock position.....put a mark on the driveshaft, horizontally......jack up the rear, put it in neutral, turn the tire ONE complete revolution and count how many time the driveshaft mark turns......about 3 3/4 turns is 3.73's, a bit less than 3 1/2 turns is 3.42's.....etc.........this works for the stock size tires. if not stock tire then it will give you you EFFECTIVE gear ratio.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you still have the sticker with the rpo codes?? If so the codes will tell you what gear ratio you have......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

BigBadRegCab

Reaction score
mark your tire with chalk at the 12 o'clock position.....put a mark on the driveshaft, horizontally......jack up the rear, put it in neutral, turn the tire ONE complete revolution and count how many time the driveshaft mark turns......about 3 3/4 turns is 3.73's, a bit less than 3 1/2 turns is 3.42's.....etc.........this works for the stock size tires. if not stock tire then it will give you you EFFECTIVE gear ratio.
Ok thank you