Biggest Tire on Crank-to-Level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Thomas

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm wanting to buy new BFG A/T tires at the start of next year. I have a 1992 K1500. With a level crank, what's the biggest Tire I can fit successfully and still look good? If I can fit a 285, can I go to a 295 and be fine? Please help before I make a costly mistake. Thank you.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
My truck is cranked to level and I have 265/70 on 17x9 rims. The width looks good but I could have maybe gone to 285 I'm not sure tbh

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Depends on your yardstick to measure success?

You can obviously fit a larger tire with a grinder and a hammer, removing the corners of the bumper and tossing the lower valance.

This also depends largely on what wheel offset you want to run.

I would check your gear ratio before buying tires, having large tires with high gearing will make your truck even more gutless.

J Thomas

Reaction score
My truck is a 92, 3.73's and I was either going to go with the factory saw - blade style in 16's or move up to a NBS 17.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Depends on your yardstick to measure success?

You can obviously fit a larger tire with a grinder and a hammer, removing the corners of the bumper and tossing the lower valance.

This also depends largely on what wheel offset you want to run.

I would check your gear ratio before buying tires, having large tires with high gearing will make your truck even more gutless.
Is there any cons to removing the bumpstop?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
My truck is a 92, 3.73's and I was either going to go with the factory saw - blade style in 16's or move up to a NBS 17.

I would suggest a 265/75/16, or a 285/75/16 as the absolute maximum sizes.

Even with a 285, you may come close to contacting the lower valance when turning in suspension compression. Less chance with the factory wheels compared to an aftermarket wheel that moves the tire outward.

DRAC for the speedometer needs to be changed to reflect the tire size change.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Is there any cons to removing the bumpstop?

Usually, bump stops are in a suspension system to keep parts from slamming into one another, causing damage. They decrease in compliance ( rising rate ) as they are compressed.

J Thomas

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I want to go to a 285. I was given a free to 285. It's got less than half life on it, so it would make a good spare. Plus it's about $30 cheaper a tire.

J Thomas

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Any help on finding a picture of an OBS with these style wheels in a 285, no lifted truck? Google and yahoo have been no help.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score

Any help on finding a picture of an OBS with these style wheels in a 285, no lifted truck? Google and yahoo have been no help.
Those were the rims I used to run on my truck. The only difference is that I have 265 not 285.

That's when I first got it.

Another picture of the wheels.

And incase you're wondering what wheels I have now.