Best way to put disc brakes on a 8 lug 14bolt semi- floater

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
As the title says! Any input is welcome! These drums have locked up on me for the last time! Also does anybody know if I can bypass the proportioning valve when I go to all disc? I already have the 800 style master cylinder. Would also like to retain some form of an emergency brake.(not a line lock)

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I've seem some folks use the rear end out of a GMT800, I haven't found a write up of how to go about it but I assume it can't be too complicated.

I had a few kits saved for disc brake conversions, but I can't seem to find them now.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As the title says! Any input is welcome! These drums have locked up on me for the last time! Also does anybody know if I can bypass the proportioning valve when I go to all disc? I already have the 800 style master cylinder. Would also like to retain some form of an emergency brake.(not a line lock)

Check out lugnut4x4 . com

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah I would do what @BowtieBrody said, just get a 03 and up GMT800 rear axle out of a Duramax, it will be the big full floater and big disc brakes. I'm wanting to do the GMT800 rear end disc brake swap so bad! Just don't have the money, lol.

Jay33089

OBSessed
Reaction score
I came across a 2500hd yesterday with disc in the back. I bought all the brake stuff off of the rear. I would have gotten the whole rearend, if it had been the right ratio. I'm thinking I can fab up a spacer of some sorts and make them work. I've read about people doing it on the 1500's. I hope the 2500's work the same. I paid $150 for everything. It has some massive dual piston calipers!

@Z71Hobbs
My main hold up on the lugnut4x4 kit is the e-brake. Those Eldorado calipers are less than desirable. I have a couple of buddy's that used them. They have since just put 3/4 ton front calipers in their place. At $200 and something not readily available at the parts counter it just turns me off.

Most don't worry with the e-brake. My OCD won't let me be without them! They've saved my ass more than once. So I vowed I would never drive a vehicle I owned without them!

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I came across a 2500hd yesterday with disc in the back. I bought all the brake stuff off of the rear. I would have gotten the whole rearend, if it had been the right ratio. I'm thinking I can fab up a spacer of some sorts and make them work. I've read about people doing it on the 1500's. I hope the 2500's work the same. I paid $150 for everything. It has some massive dual piston calipers!

@Z71Hobbs
My main hold up on the lugnut4x4 kit is the e-brake. Those Eldorado calipers are less than desirable. I have a couple of buddy's that used them. They have since just put 3/4 ton front calipers in their place. At $200 and something not readily available at the parts counter it just turns me off.

Most don't worry with the e-brake. My OCD won't let me be without them! They've saved my ass more than once. So I vowed I would never drive a vehicle I owned without them!

There was a 2000 GMC K2500 CCSB for sale near me a while back, they had taken the rear out of an 02 2500HD and installed it; I wish I knew the folks so I could have a couple questions answered. I've been on the fence with rear disc, I hear you on the E-brake situation,