Best tune up parts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldmoby89

Reaction score
I have been spending two hours just looking for a post about which tune up pars to use. Specifically plugs and wires. I am cleaning up engine bay so I wanted nicer wires in red and possibly a red cap also as I have black valve covers and open element air filter. Can someone help me out with what has worked well for them.

neko_tensai

Reaction score
I'm the least likely to have the best info here, I've always used inexpensive plugs and wires with no problems as long as I'm careful. AC Delco is likely your best bang for the buck. However...

I just pulled MSD wires off of my truck. I'm pretty sure these were original with 70k miles and they held up extremely well. They were very well built. The little conductor cap on the tip of a plug actually ripped off (despite being threaded on) when yanking on the wire (not the rubber plug grommet) with about 50lbs of force.

Normally, that's when inexpensive plug wires fall apart and the ends come off. Not the MSD ones, they would probably make a good, albeit short, whip, in an emergency.

I'm sure MSD are a lot more expensive. They are red.

vic_v8

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
AC Delco plugs, second choice is NGKs

MSD has gone down in quality over the years. Fire Core are the best wires out right now, but big $$$ find a set you can afford in the color you want I would do at least 7.5mm. Check Summit brand first.

Oldmoby89

Reaction score
Thank all of you for your input. I have picked up acdelco plugs, cap and rotor. Got a good deal for mad super conductor wires (in red). Going to try a little bigger gap on the plugs.........38 or 40. Maybe smooth idle even more or help efficiency.

Oldmoby89

Reaction score
On a side note I also rebuilt the tbi today and installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and gauge from cfm. I am trying out an idea and didn't know if anyone had tried it with any positive or negative effects. I stacked two injector pod gaskets to simulate a spacer I will post my own results as soon as I can

Oldmoby89

Reaction score
Update...I started truck today after I installed fuel filter,cap and rotor, plugs and plug wires, pcv valve, and the rebuilt tbi. It runs perfect now and it hits almost exactly when u crank it. I did notice when I was installing the cap that the dist. Hold down bolt was loose and I rotated distributor about 10to 15 degrees. After I reset base timing and adjusted fuel pressure to 12-12.5 psi that's when I got great results. Sounds so much better and throttle resonse is instant. I gapped my plugs at 40 it seems to be working well and I will see how long they last.