Best Replacement Fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
This mod all comes down to personal preference. For all of the guys calling it a hack, try pulling a bed or dropping a tank out on the trail or when off roading. The access panel mod can mean the difference between a monster tow bill or a fairly quick repair.

For all of the guys that have a 4X4 and it never leaves the pavement and you have a tow truck handy dropping the tank or pulling the bed in a shop is not a big deal.

Another of the same type of mod is to do the same thing for the switch on top of the transfer case. Changing that switch out even in the shop takes a bit of time, but would be next to impossible with a truck in the mud or deep snow.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is if you have skid-plates, especially if it's winter and you live someplace that actually gets cold.

Both my 96 and 97 are Z71's with skid plates, and I live in Colorado--at 7K ft altitude. It's not that hard to pull the tank in a pickup, although I've never done it with a Suburban or Tahoe.

More so, most fuel pumps die from not changing the fuel filter at 15k or SOONER. I know this......

shamrock246

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the Delphi pump and sender assy from Rockauto. I just waited for the tank to be near empty and used a trans jack to remove and install the tank, it's not to bad.

Dave454ss

Reaction score
More so, most fuel pumps die from not changing the fuel filter at 15k or SOONER. I know this......

Truth right there... I change fuel filters once a year.. Had my 01 Sierra from Nov 00 thru April of 2017, 250k+ miles...never touched the fuel pump.
My dad on the other hand..."Never got around to it", 99 NBS 2500, 2 fuel pumps in 5 years or so..

Back when I was working at the dealership, 9 out of 10 fuel pump failures were due to clogged fuel filters.

Maybe those guys should cut another access hole, or maybe just torch the whole bed floor right out so they can do fuel filters AND fuel pumps on the side of the road from the top.

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like this thread took a detour. So from what I understand the best replacement fuel pump is a Delphi or Bosch?

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like this thread took a detour. So from what I understand the best replacement fuel pump is a Delphi or Bosch?
The original factory pump lasted 13 years, the Bosch I replaced it with has been on it 7 + years and knock on wood still going. But I also might add, I change fuel filters more than average and never run fuel level low enough that pump does not run cool. I don't know if that means a lot but it is just a me thing !

Last edited:

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like Bosch it is!

Yes, Bosch may make a very good fuel pump, but the original pump installed in your truck came from one plant, Delphi. While at the Delphi plant, watching the plastic injection pellets heated and injected into the mold, seeing the pump assembled then magnetized , tested, inserted into the plastic bucket, the the sending installed, then re-tested before boxing, ensured me the quality that was incorporated into the process. A pallet of boxes where un-folded and the pump assembly went into an ACDelco box. After a while, the 8 pallets of freshly minted pumps went into a semi truck. At this point, Delphi boxes were used to be sent to warehouse distribution. I asked if the Delco units where going there as well. I was told no, their destination was the truck assembly plant in Oklahoma City for the Trailblazer, Envoy.
The different I know of, is the fuel sender's ceramic card. Instead of silver infused ink, silk-screened on the card, they switched to a higher content of noble metals including platinum, nickel, lead, gold or "Plainey 6" alloys in the ink to resist the formation of silver sulfide when the level of sulfur in fuel was not regulated. They used (bifurcated) multi-fingered sweeping contacts to reduce contact force while maintaining an excellent fuel level signal, that is also used for OBD-II for EVAP Op's for fuel levels from 10% - 80% of full before test for leaks. This also worked great with ethanol fuels up to 85%.

I can not say what Bosch uses for sender ink or the commutator plates on the armature that GM has formulated a change to work with E85 as well. My experience is aftermarket parts are copies using reverse engineering from the first design of the OEM product.

But using the "Broadcast Code" of ID will help, use of an "RFI" module will work as designed in your GM product. Change the external fuel filter on a regular basis is a no brainer.
You can also call ACDelco techline phone number, give them the "VIN" and they will tell you the part number that works, even with changes that update the pump assembly you spend so much money on. Or at least they had this phone service for years.

After changing the external filter and pump, I would inspect the pumps sock-type filters for condition, before just blindly sticking a pump in the tank. I hate doing things twice. If your pump is inside a plastic tank, it has two filters. The one inside, will require disassembly, but it is the bottom of the bucket and traps all the trash in your tank.

P.S. Return fuel from a fuel pressure regulator dumps into this bucket as well, not the tank. The plastic bucket design is not to increase the cost, but to comply with mis-fire regulations, keeping fuel around the pump when the tank is low and turning corners. All manufactures petitioned the C.A.R.B. to relax the mis-fire counter in 1997. Although cars fall into a different category that trucks, but this happens to trucks soon after parts for passenger cars change.

These are two designs as well. One is a simple bucket and the other can be identified bu see a small hose "Tee" off the top of the pump, then disappearing down the side to the bottom. This is a fuel bleed that goes into a brass "Jet Venturi" that creates a vacuum on the bottom external sock-type filter. This pulls fuel inside to the top of the pump, a float lifts, and dumps the excessive fuel into the tank.

Does the aftermarket do that?