Best Replacement Door Panels For 88-94?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I received my panels from Coverlay today. I ordered the power window part and they sent the manual window part, so back on the big brown truck they go. I didn't really unwrap them to the check them out thoroughly, but here are a few quick observations. The color is not molded in like an OEM piece, it is sprayed on. The plastic they are made from is very hard, not flexible like the OEM panels. And the carpeted section at the bottom of the panel is a completely separate piece. It looks like they did that for packaging purposes, so they could use a smaller box. Here's to hoping they handle the return well and send the right part this time.

Lifted92

Reaction score
Well, I received my panels from Coverlay today. I ordered the power window part and they sent the manual window part, so back on the big brown truck they go. I didn't really unwrap them to the check them out thoroughly, but here are a few quick observations. The color is not molded in like an OEM piece, it is sprayed on. The plastic they are made from is very hard, not flexible like the OEM panels. And the carpeted section at the bottom of the panel is a completely separate piece. It looks like they did that for packaging purposes, so they could use a smaller box. Here's to hoping they handle the return well and send the right part this time.

Aww man, that sucks hopefully the right ones won't take so long to get here!

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the Coverlay panel in Dark gray. I'm going to dye the carpet to match the new carpet in my truck, so it will be next week sometime before I have installed pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Lifted92

Reaction score
Here is the Coverlay panel in Dark gray. I'm going to dye the carpet to match the new carpet in my truck, so it will be next week sometime before I have installed pics.

Those look good buddy! Definitely heavier built than the ones I have. I'll post some pics since mine are off

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here they are installed:

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some notes on the install:

-The instructions say to use the #8 screws to attach the top and bottom sections together. That is the size you need for the holes in the panels. Coverlay included #6 screws and they don't fit.

-The panels are like 1/16" smaller all the way around the perimeter. If your old panels have left a mark in the paint at the edges, there is a good chance you'll see it with these new panels on.

-They don't fit very tightly to the door in the middle of the panel. There are no fasteners in the middle of the panel. On the factory panels, I counted 6 of those plastic panel fasteners on the plastic part above the carpet. These have two.

-Coverlay used very CHEAP carpet on these panels. The carpet did not hold up well to the dyeing process. I used SEM Color Coat, and you have to brush it in after each coat. The carpet turned into a giant fuzzball as soon as I hit it with the brush. I tested the process on my old OEM panels before trying it on the Coverlay panels and the OEM ones held up just fine. I would not recommend trying to change the carpet color on these using that process.

Overall, I'm happy with the way they look right now. If they hold up for a while, they'll be worth the $250ish I have into them.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good. Does the arm rest feel sturdy and hold up to shutting the door? Nice notes on the install too. I'm going to have to go down this road in the next month or so.