Best posi trac or locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My snow driving experience is only rather recent and limited. So I'm curious why you prefer an open diff?

I have had better results from my g80 than open diffs.

It's personal preference really, at least in my opinion. Both setups have their advantages and disadvantages. An open diff will be much easier for the average Joe to control in the snow, because with only one wheel spinning you won't have a tendency to kick the rear end out and slide sideways. A locker or posi will be easier to get going in certain weird situations, like from a dead stop on a snowy incline (once again, in my opinion, based on past experience). But, they take a lot more attention on the throttle to make sure the back end doesn't pass the front.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
My snow driving experience is only rather recent and limited. So I'm curious why you prefer an open diff?

I have had better results from my g80 than open diffs.

the main thing to consider this is just WHERE your doing the driving......when i lived upstate and had snow 6 months a year it was different than living in NYC.....

think of it simply as....one wheel spinning doesn't want to go in a straight line, it easily "slips" side to side.....and open rear has one tire "planted" that will only want to go forward, not slide around, it's more stable going forward.....until forward momentum is not possible due to the depth of snow.

in deep snow (10"+) i'd want a limited slip or locked.......but proper winter tires make all the difference either way.

and a light assed pickup with a posi in ice is a load of fun to keep straight if you have lots of turns and no "sense" of control.....an open is just more seem-less in "normal" snow.....to me anyway......but i also ride my Harley in the winter......so maybe my opinion is moot.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Here in north east New Mexico, where I live now, two feet of snow is about the most I have seen. We get snow at most 10 times a winter (last three years I lived here at least). Lots of hills and mountains. We don't use salt just sand. So packed snow and ice are what's left on the road after DOT comes through.

From my experience I prefer some type of locker/limited slip. And tires do make all the difference. Not fun being stuck at the bottom of a small incline, looking like an idiot trying to get up it. It does take a bit more finesse to not loose the rear end, but just some common sense (or not so common).

Truck in my avatar had 225/75r16 highway friendly tires at the time of the picture. 454 tbi, 9.5 mpg towing 16,590 lbs. Gets stuck in wet grass in 4wd. Now has 245/75r16 toyo a/t. 2wd can get through some decent snow.

Locker/posi/limited experience:
Detroit locker- not mine, rode in the truck a few times, didn't know it was there on the streets, never heard it ratcheting or popping like some complain about.
8.5 clutch style posi- it does pop at low speed tight turns, will leave two black marks every time.
8.8 track-loc- seemed to work every time, engine didn't have enough power to spin tires, tires weren't snow tires, got stuck several times.
Torque bias (truetrack, but not) never in snow just mud and sand, feels like an open on the streets, when it starts getting deep apply brakes and it starts working like a locker.
G80 14ff- works fine. Just have to get a wheel spinning first.

@shovelbill hardly a moot point, different preferences for different vehicles, and situations. I like my high horsepower muscles car, burning rubber and making noise. But it gets a little old on long trips and is rather useless for towing.

Dylans95Chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Posi in the snow is great, my rwd skyline has a locked 2 way diff in it and its a blast to drive in the snow. Truck has a open diff and I hate it, I like going down the road a little sideways though.

Reaction score
I have been wanting to get one of these for a long time, I am just to tight to get one. You just replace the spider gears with this.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwt-92-0785-3005/overview/

I have a 1994 k1500 with a 5.7 and a 5 speed. I love it its a fu truck to drive. It had a 3.42 open diff in it that went out so i put a 1980s k20 3.42 limited slip diff in it. It doesnt like to spin both o road but mines the one with clutches and springs and ive heard on here those have to spin a certain rpm to catch. It works pretty good offroad though. Spins both every time. Its a 10 bolt btw

Reaction score
I have a 1994 k1500 with a 5.7 and a 5 speed. I love it its a fu truck to drive. It had a 3.42 open diff in it that went out so i put a 1980s k20 3.42 limited slip diff in it. It doesnt like to spin both o road but mines the one with clutches and springs and ive heard on here those have to spin a certain rpm to catch. It works pretty good offroad though. Spins both every time. Its a 10 bolt btw

Also its a 6 lug

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I do like the idea of a selectable locker but I don't like that a simple broken wire or airline would leave me with an open diff if ox made a Locker for the 14b sf I would definitely go that way but I can't find anything on one that's why I was leaning towards a regular locker/ posi and it sounds like the tru trac is my best option I have just one more question how does the tru trac act on pavement like when I go around corners while accelerating dose it try to lock like some other lockers/posi units and what about on snow/ice it rarely snows here but I do drive in it on occasion thanks in advance

It does in mine but when I drained the synthetic to regular 75w-80 with friction modifier it slowed down on locking in U-turns and such.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i've learned that i PREFER an open rear for snow duty, until i WANT both spinning......a "posi" in snow does require a bit more control which i find wouldn't be necessary....i've had Detroits, Moroso's G-80's, Ford TrueTracks and such......my front wheel drive Cavalier.......and i still would rather have an open for daily driver use.

hence the ARB, OX or the E-Locker

When I read this my mind went back to the 70 Pontiac Ram Air III GTO I had, one of the things it did have was a factory positraction. Back then there were no such animal as radial tires, just bias ply. It was great in snow if you kept a lite foot, but the bad part of the posi was, I was out on a date with my then future wife and it had started snowing. I had dropped her off a her home and went to mine, there were friends at my place with the same body style vehicle so same width tread. Yes it was snowing so they had made a tire tread snow pack. Pulling in was no problem, but when they wanted to leave I went to my vehicle being the last in line, foot on the brake, shifted it to reverse with no throttle and went sideways in my drive. Could NOT move, they had to stay over night. Next morning, tires at air temp I put it in gear and drove out no problem. I doubt if it hadn't of been a posi, I might not have slide sideways.

My 98 Sierra shows a G80 rear axle RPO code, I can smoke one tire no problem, I'm guessing it was replaced with an open long before I got it in 2011. 'One of these days' I'll get around doing something about it, but it won't be a factory style replacement.

Last edited: