Best posi trac or locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCDave71801

Reaction score
I'm new here and have a 95 k1500 ext cab I just swapped my factory 10b g80 for a 14b sf open and while the g80 wasn't the best it did work my question is what is the best thing to put in I like the ease of a lock-right or no-slip but have herd that tru-trac is far superior but there is always a regular clutch style posi it is going in my daily driver I spend 50% of the time on pavement the rest is a mix of dirt roads, in the pasture and some trails and mudding there is rarely snow around here but the winter makes the pasture extremely muddy and even dirt roads 4x4 only parts of the year I have read many post on here and haven't found an answer if I missed it please post a link thank you in advance by the way great forum very informative in fact I read on here on how to do the 14b swap and it was spot on As far as parts needed

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Selectable of some sort would be great. Short of that, I'd say TrueTrac if it's going to be driven mostly on pavement, Detroit Locker if you're going to be off road a lot.

I have a TrueTrac in my Monte Carlo and love it, but if you ever get into a situation where one wheel is off the ground it will just spin that wheel unless you apply some brakes. Detroit Locker just keeps on chugging through anything, one wheel off the ground or not.

GMCDave71801

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies I do like the idea of a selectable locker but I don't like that a simple broken wire or airline would leave me with an open diff if ox made a Locker for the 14b sf I would definitely go that way but I can't find anything on one that's why I was leaning towards a regular locker/ posi and it sounds like the tru trac is my best option I have just one more question how does the tru trac act on pavement like when I go around corners while accelerating dose it try to lock like some other lockers/posi units and what about on snow/ice it rarely snows here but I do drive in it on occasion thanks in advance

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You will never feel a TrueTrac do anything going around a corner, they are smooth as butter. They function pretty much exactly like a standard old-school posi but with helical gears instead of clutch packs. Never driven my Monte Carlo in the snow but I'd imagine it probably does just fine as long as you have decent throttle control skills.

GMCDave71801

Reaction score
Ok thanks a million when dose the TrueTrac usually pull with both wheels or is it just one until both are needed

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
You will never feel a TrueTrac do anything going around a corner, they are smooth as butter. They function pretty much exactly like a standard old-school posi but with helical gears instead of clutch packs. Never driven my Monte Carlo in the snow but I'd imagine it probably does just fine as long as you have decent throttle control skills.

i've learned that i PREFER an open rear for snow duty, until i WANT both spinning......a "posi" in snow does require a bit more control which i find wouldn't be necessary....i've had Detroits, Moroso's G-80's, Ford TrueTracks and such......my front wheel drive Cavalier.......and i still would rather have an open for daily driver use.

hence the ARB, OX or the E-Locker

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
i've learned that i PREFER an open rear for snow duty, until i WANT both spinning......a "posi" in snow does require a bit more control which i find wouldn't be necessary....i've had Detroits, Moroso's G-80's, Ford TrueTracks and such......my front wheel drive Cavalier.......and i still would rather have an open for daily driver use.

hence the ARB, OX or the E-Locker

My snow driving experience is only rather recent and limited. So I'm curious why you prefer an open diff?

I have had better results from my g80 than open diffs.