Best Place to Find Backup Light Tap for Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like suggestions on the best place to tap into the backup light circuit on a 1995 K1500 Extended Cab without the compass mirror. I'm installing a Kenwood Double DIN with the cheaper Metra kit. I've gotten everything wired up and the dash trim modified. Everything works without yet being squeezed into the dash except, I need to hook up the reverse wire on the kenwood 6702S so the unit will toggle to reverse screen on when put into reverse. It works with a push of the button but I want it to automatically do it. I have the button for trailer pulling. I've scoured the internet and got close but not quite what I'm looking for. I see a post on here suggesting you can tap into the body connector on the firewall. That may work if you have a compass mirror. I checked mine and it does not work that way on mine without the compass mirror. I already ran my camera wire along my frame and I dont really want to repeat that and run the backup wire from the Kenwood all the way back to tap the backup light itself. So, I figure my choices are to tap into the Neutral Safety Switch on the auto trans or the associated reverse switch. Problem is that there are 2 light green wires. I also hate to tap into it there as it is a tight area and I dont want connection problems that I create but that may be the best place? There are 2 plugs. Not sure but I think its one of the light green wires on the bottom. But it would seem better maybe to try to see where that wire runs (probably along the frame) and pull the wires out of the plastic sheathing and tap there. I looked and looked in the pillar kick panel etc hoping for a place to tap within the cab. I found none. Any help would be appreciated if anyone has done this. FYI, my Kenwood needs a postiive sigal to toggle the screen to back up camera. I tried and verified. Many Thanks!

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I would like suggestions on the best place to tap into the backup light circuit on a 1995 K1500 Extended Cab without the compass mirror. I'm installing a Kenwood Double DIN with the cheaper Metra kit. I've gotten everything wired up and the dash trim modified. Everything works without yet being squeezed into the dash except, I need to hook up the reverse wire on the kenwood 6702S so the unit will toggle to reverse screen on when put into reverse. It works with a push of the button but I want it to automatically do it. I have the button for trailer pulling. I've scoured the internet and got close but not quite what I'm looking for. I see a post on here suggesting you can tap into the body connector on the firewall. That may work if you have a compass mirror. I checked mine and it does not work that way on mine without the compass mirror. I already ran my camera wire along my frame and I dont really want to repeat that and run the backup wire from the Kenwood all the way back to tap the backup light itself. So, I figure my choices are to tap into the Neutral Safety Switch on the auto trans or the associated reverse switch. Problem is that there are 2 light green wires. I also hate to tap into it there as it is a tight area and I dont want connection problems that I create but that may be the best place? There are 2 plugs. Not sure but I think its one of the light green wires on the bottom. But it would seem better maybe to try to see where that wire runs (probably along the frame) and pull the wires out of the plastic sheathing and tap there. I looked and looked in the pillar kick panel etc hoping for a place to tap within the cab. I found none. Any help would be appreciated if anyone has done this. FYI, my Kenwood needs a postiive sigal to toggle the screen to back up camera. I tried and verified. Many Thanks!

On my 93 there's a wiring harness going into the drivers side firewall, it contains signal wires for the transmission, it's a light green wire. ill try to snap a pic tomorrow.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Great. If you have a photo that would be helpful.

This is going to be messy but here you go

You must be registered for see images attach

There's a couple harnesses plugging in right there, i circled the one you need. It's under the windshield wiper motor.

Bigger picture for you to see.

Then here's all the wires in that plug, you need the light green one that i circled and also has electrical tape on it from where i tapped into it. You can see the correct one is lighter than the other green color which almost looks blue in this picture. The reverse wire looks kind of grass green in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would this be the same for a 5 speed truck?

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So my backup camera/double din worked great for a week or so and then on the interstate on the way to work I realized that the turn signals didn't work (the day before I realized my backup camera would no longer trigger on an thought I would work on that later). I was scared that possibly my taillights and or brake lights might be out so I got off at an exit and checked and the brake lights also no longer worked. Glad I didn't get rear ended on the interstate! Oddly the 3rd brakelight did work. So, no turn signals work front or back, no brake lights in the bed taillights, backup camera doesn't trigger on (but will work manually) also hazards don't work but third brakelight on cab works? I'll troubleshoot this weekend. I'm not driving it now. I figure its something I did and a voltage spike or a wire came loose or rubbed through. My fuses in the panel seemed to check good. Maybe its a common ground? When you turn the turn signal on it doesn't even light up in the dash. Hazards, nothing in the dash lights up (related to the turn signals) and stays on, it's just as if you never hit the button. Going to troubleshoot and see if ground or hot side and go from there. Lots of things out, maybe a common ground burned up? All of this to say, in line fuses are a good thing when adding aftermarket equipment. I wanted to add some to the reverse trigger wire but was tool lazy to drive to the autoparts store and buy one. I now regret that.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
That's very odd, the signal wire you tapped into for the input signal should not be the culprit; more likely related to the actual back up camera and where you grounded it and tapped in for it etc. That's the only place it would affect turn signals/brake lights.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So my backup camera/double din worked great for a week or so and then on the interstate on the way to work I realized that the turn signals didn't work (the day before I realized my backup camera would no longer trigger on an thought I would work on that later). I was scared that possibly my taillights and or brake lights might be out so I got off at an exit and checked and the brake lights also no longer worked. Glad I didn't get rear ended on the interstate! Oddly the 3rd brakelight did work. So, no turn signals work front or back, no brake lights in the bed taillights, backup camera doesn't trigger on (but will work manually) also hazards don't work but third brakelight on cab works? I'll troubleshoot this weekend. I'm not driving it now. I figure its something I did and a voltage spike or a wire came loose or rubbed through. My fuses in the panel seemed to check good. Maybe its a common ground? When you turn the turn signal on it doesn't even light up in the dash. Hazards, nothing in the dash lights up (related to the turn signals) and stays on, it's just as if you never hit the button. Going to troubleshoot and see if ground or hot side and go from there. Lots of things out, maybe a common ground burned up? All of this to say, in line fuses are a good thing when adding aftermarket equipment. I wanted to add some to the reverse trigger wire but was tool lazy to drive to the autoparts store and buy one. I now regret that.

First take it back to stock... disconnect anything you have done and chase down the problem. If everything comes back it is likely the camera if not chase the problem and then try the camera again. That is a pretty big fail to be caused by the camera install unless you broke a wire when doing the tap.