Best location to tap into power source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Blue

Reaction score
I am hooking up a CB radio into my truck, and I was wondering where the best place would be to tap into a power source? I want it to be on when things like the radio and fan are on. A friend told me to put the power wire in next to the radio fuse, but that seems kinda sketchy to me, lol. I was wondering about buying a cigarette lighter plug and wiring it up to that, then I could plug/unplug it anytime I wanted to.

Where have some of you guys wired up CB radios or other aftermarket electronics?

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my 88 there were 2 unused fuse locations one above the other. The lower on is always hot and the top is only on when key is. I am using fuse pigtail tap wires that have a regular fuse and a fuse slot for the piggyback wire. I run my CIG plug off the always hot and the cb off the keyed one.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want the cb to work it's best. Hook it directly up to the battery. Both the ground and power(don't forget the fuse). Anyone that's had cb's long enough and use them alot will tell you this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want the cb to work it's best. Hook it directly up to the battery. Both the ground and power(don't forget the fuse). Anyone that's had cb's long enough and use them alot will tell you this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

How true good info use a in-line fuse or else you can burn down your ride if it shorts out.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the piggyback pigtale with 2 fuses shown the fuse for the original slot is the one that is not flush, it is just in the slot to show the 2 fuse setup. The top fuse only runs off the hot side and fuses the circuit that will be powered. The lower fuse would retain the other circuit operability.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach