Best Aftermarket Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97redz71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 97 ext cab and looking to replace the factory speakers. Looking for the best affordable speakers out there. Also, I would need a total of 4 correct?
Thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would need two 6.5" round speakers and two 4"x6"s. I always recommend Polk's DB series as a good budget speaker.

Eric1998

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Eric1998

Reaction score
I used these speakers in my 98 ext cab, nice bang for the buck speakers in my opinion.

EppNation

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your question has no answer. Everyone who replies is going to say it's the speakers they have. It's like taking a poll of who has the best mother...everyone is going to vote for their own.

Bottom line is ANY aftermarket speakers are going to be WORLDS better than your factory ones, even when they where new. Add ~20 years... you get the picture.

Following the good/better/best categorizing:
If you're staying with stock head unit and wiring, then you're wasting you're money buying anything 'best', and most things 'better'

Now I'm not saying just go to your local flea market and buy the first set that you see in the correct size, but probably anything on the shelf at Walmart will suit those needs.
Tip: cross reference what's on Walmart shelf to Amazon

Crutchfield is an excellent source of information as well.

You could spend weeks or even months researching this and still be unsure, or you can just go buy any decent set today and will be happy.

Now without further adieu... The best speakers are without a doubt Alpine SPR series, component editions up front, and coaxials in rears. Kicker makes the best amps, hands down. Get a kicker SX700.4 to push them Alpine SPR's, and bring it all home with a JL15W7 pushed by a RF10001bd

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Everyone who replies is going to say it's the speakers they have.

I didn't... Haven't owned a set of Polks in years.

Following the good/better/best categorizing:
If you're staying with stock head unit and wiring, then you're wasting you're money buying anything 'best', and most things 'better'

I disagree with this as well. The stock head units in these trucks are a lot better than people give them credit for. I remember reading an article where someone tested the specs of a stock Delco unit that someone posted here years ago (maybe @michael hurd?) and being very impressed. Sure they're not much good if you need amplifier pre outs or aux inputs, but they're certainly not terrible. Stock speakers on the other hand are almost certainly falling apart by now.

Last edited:

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
I recently put in JBL GT7-6 6.5" 2-way fronts and polk db461p in rear. head unit is a pioneer deh-150mp. sounds alright in a standard cab. Be careful breaking off door panel pins as you remove the panel.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found mine on eBay just remember to look what the s/h is going to be and make sure they have good feedback,

Years ago I bought some MA Audio speakers on eBay real cheap I sure like how they sound one can even move the tweeter where it sounds better and just last week I bought some Polk speakers if I remember correct it was $19.00 bucks oh they are brand new as well I don't need them but I'm holding on to them just in case one of my speakers takes a dump.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know anything about CADENCE speakers how they perform and so on?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Don't think of a speaker as a component, as the vehicle is part of a system.

It makes no sense to have good speakers and tires that howl, wind leaks from worn / cracked window belt moldings, and loud / leaky exhaust.

I would spend money on sound abatement products before buying expensive speakers. Treat the doors well and the door panels, apply foam tape where interior pieces rub or 'itch' together.

Install modest speakers and enjoy.