Battery gauge is waving hello...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corster

Reaction score
If my battery gauge is waving at me (stock radio and wipers the only electronics on), would this indicated a failing alternator? I have noticed when it is hot out what sounds like the alternator screaming. Belt has recently been replaced.

Thanks,

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check alternator connections for being loose or burnt. Checks grounds and cables for corrosion. My alternator started growling at about 190 K but no surging up or down, I replaced it because it was annoying to listen to. You may want to check your charging out with a meter with all accessories on to eliminate possible volt gauge malfunction, does lights go bright or dim at night when it is doing it ? Also how old is battery ? Batteries getting ready to puke can make the alternator surge up and down, as well as take out a alternator in the process.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My alternator was kicking in and out and it turned out to be the plug on the alternator. Soldered a new pigtail on and it has been fine. If you suspect alt wearing out remove the belt and spin it by hand ,if it is growling the end is near.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have to swap alternaotrs, I suggest looking into the AD244 upgrade. My burb is going to be getting one soon, if not something bigger.

Shorty01GMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine waves with the blinkers... that’s the only time it acts up lol

Corster

Reaction score
Update: All pullies have been replaced. Some were adding resistance and causing false alarm on the alternator. Been using it for almost a week now in pretty hot weather. No more noises and no alternator issues.

@94burbk1500 I was wondering what upgraded alternators there were out there. I will definitely keep that in mind for when the time comes. Thank you!