Basic exhaust information for a 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1294

Pro basket weaver
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Let me start by saying if this is a way over-asked topic, I'm sorry and I can go back to searching instead of cluttering everything up.

I tried reading over the threads here, but none of them were really specific to my questions (Granted: there was an overwhelming amount of topics, I might've missed something.)

Anyway, here is my situation.

I have an OBS with a 5.7L in it, and I am wanting to upgrade the exhaust. From what I have read, people seem to be fond of the Flowmaster 10 series, the Super 40's and even the Cherry Bomb exhausts. I've also read that it's beneficial to buy headers at the same time as exhausts.

However, I don't really care too much if I have duels or not, and I notice most people ask questions like "What is the best duel setup for my truck?"

With that said, what is the best option performance wise for my situation? I have a 5.7 that's all stock. I'd like to get headers and a cold air intake at the same time for it. Sound doesn't matter too much, I think any aftermarket exhaust sounds nice (with the exception of straight pipes. I HATE those.)

And finally, how much can I expect to spend on the exhaust and headers? I have about $750 right now left over from the holidays. If I need more coin to get a good setup, I'm willing to wait and try to save a bit more.

Thank you guys,

Merry Christmas!

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
headers leak,stick with the manifolds flowmaster makes a nice cat back dual setup easy to install,or magnaflo makes one you could install it in a few hours. imo.

93blackthunder

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headers won't leak if done correctly the first time and if you buy a decent set. Exhaust just get duals dumped with an h or x pipe (I prefer h) and name brand mufflers will do just fine, 350's sound good with any muffler just about.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
headers leak even when done properly sooner or later your doing gaskets on them.in my 20+ years of trucks and cars i've owned and built at some point your replacing the headers cause they've rusted out even the expensive ones just my opinion.

Kable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To add to this. I have a 1990 SCSB with the 5.7TBI obviously. I'm having the exhaust done now. Stock besides the exhaust
Y Pipe into a single magnaflow with 3'' pipe back to a single side exit right before the rear passenger tire with a BRP 4.5'' tip. Should be the sound i'm looking for, Ill post a video clip soon as its done.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I plan on taking both cats off my 96, as the 5.7L vortec has duals from factory, up until the muffler that comes on them stock, which is under cab and box. I am going to run dumped flowmaster 10s before rear axle, not turned down, just straight up dumped. I think 1990GMCSIERRA is running that set up on his truck. My truck was straight piped all fancy with ********* chrome tips, F that. They were 45ed, that's not cool anymore I say.

Last edited:

89-Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
headers leak even when done properly sooner or later your doing gaskets on them.in my 20+ years of trucks and cars i've owned and built at some point your replacing the headers cause they've rusted out even the expensive ones just my opinion.

That's the downside to headers. I take them off my cars every few years and repaint them with Eastwood header paint, and they are as solid now as they were 15 years ago. It's a lot of extra work, but it helps a lot.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
has anybody know anything about dynomax ultra flo-x di/do muffler? was thing of running this with no cats.