ball joint tool used as a torsion bar tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
I am currently putting on my lift since the shop I went to ****** me over..... But any ways we tried using a c clamp to take out the torsion keys and it broke the bolt on the c clamp (Nobody was hurt luckily) but this maid me want to just buy a torsion bar tool for safety reasons. Then I found an thread on another gm forum were some one just rented a ball joint tool for the torsion key removal, so I want to know if I should just rent one and do what this guy did. I guess my biggest concern is if it will work and if it will be safe? let me know what you think please!
We have the rear part of the lift on but the front is put on hold so fast responses would be appreciated!
You must be registered for see images attach

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I know a 7 ton gear puller rented from oreillys will work. I've used it before, plus you get all your money back when you're done.

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
I know a 7 ton gear puller rented from oreillys will work. I've used it before, plus you get all your money back when you're done.
I have also heard that, so im guessing a gear puller is just like a large C Clamp as well lol, and thanks for the fast reply! :)

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
This is what one looks like,

But the 7 ton one is a LOT beefier. It worked amazing on my friends nbs that I put lift keys on.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
It latches to the sides of the cross,ember and directs all the push right into the key. You might have to hold the teeth on the cross,ember unit
It gets tight, but once it's tight, they work amazing

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
See, a C-clamp puts its leverage on the c part and it can be very dangerous, and they easily slip around. With the gear puller, once you've got it tightened on there, it won't budge

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
This is what one looks like,

But the 7 ton one is a LOT beefier. It worked amazing on my friends nbs that I put lift keys on.

Alright thanks man, Im hoping to get this damn lift on before this up coming weekend... unfortunately I have to work on it after school and that is going to limit how late I can work on it as well :(

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
See, a C-clamp puts its leverage on the c part and it can be very dangerous, and they easily slip around. With the gear puller, once you've got it tightened on there, it won't budge
You are the $hit man! Credit is given were it is deserved ;)

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Mine was a huge pita. Took me and dad a total of 65 hours over an entire week to get mine on.. If you haven't, spray every bolt under there with a penetrating oil like PB blaster or preferably liquid wrench. You'll be GLAD you did... Take my word for it! :lol:

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
Mine was a huge pita. Took me and dad a total of 65 hours over an entire week to get mine on.. If you haven't, spray every bolt under there with a penetrating oil like PB blaster or preferably liquid wrench. You'll be GLAD you did... Take my word for it! :lol:
yeah we already lubed it up good with a can of pb blaster I think you can even see it in this pic in the lower right hand corner lol