Bagged truck, no way to mount receiver. how about this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright guys.. here is an idea I have came up with.. some of ya know.. that I have recently bagged my truck and have lost and do not want to put a huge trailer hitch under my truck.. so here is what I have came up with>
http://www.textrail.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.prodInfo&prodId=647
I am thinking about bolting/ welding this plate on the bottom of a steel plate I mounted my compressors on under my truck. Here is a pic for reference.
I am thinking it will fit perfectly right behind my rollpan and All i will have to do is notch my rollpan out. Only thing I would be worried about is if the piece that the ball mounts to would not stick out far enough..? sorry I am not towing literate. lol

You must be registered for see images attach

I am seeing what your guys opinion on it is.. I think it will be strong enough to hold up an old s10 trailer I have started to make.. At the most it will haul is some scrap or a fourwheeler. What ya guys think?

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I think it should work. If you're worried about length, you could get a drop hitch. Like a 4" one and invert it and put the ball on top and that will not only give height for the tongue of the trailer plus give more length to stick out past the roll pan.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I think it will too. Just thinking outta my head here sitting at work that looks like only problem I may run into is how long of a ball hitch I will need in order for it to stick out, but I bet you can get some decent lengths of ball hitches. Got me excited that I may still be able to pull a trailer if I need :D

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
As long as the steel under the compressors is heavy enough, say 1/4" to 3/8" or better. It should work for a light trailer.

Also a flush fit plug on the notch u cut in the roll pan would be cool too.

Last edited:

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not sure how thick it is exactly, but I will upload a few more pictures.. it is decently thick.

Yes.. A flush mount plug would be sweet. I sold the whole tail light harness out of the s10 so going to have to find me a new one.. :( Least of my worries though lol

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Looks like 1/4". Should be fine fer the trailer u were talkin bout. Wirein is easy peasy. Any autofarts place will have a color matched setup u can splice into your tails. You will need to add to the frame bolts on the cross member. 3 per side minimum. Or a solid weld onto the frame. Nice work by the way.

Last edited:

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure If i can do another bolt, but If I do decide to do this I will try. I put some big washers on the 4 bolts that are holding it now. Yeah I don't plan on using it for much. My dad has talked about buying a pontoon boat someday and I would have to be the one to pull it. At the point I will probably have to look into something else.. lol Thanks alot Shelby. Was not my original idea on the truck, but it is what it is. Looks better this way than I originally planned lol

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
No problemo. I tell u what. I think a 3/8" thick 8"x39" plate, bolted to the bottom of the frame rail, 3 bolts per side, under the compressor mount, with that receiver welded to it, Would be Ideal. That way u could install and remove it whenever. All without messin up the good work you've done so far.

2003Xtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that receiver i linked is going to bolt under that plate in the center. Yea it wont be as strong as what you just stated but i do not plan on taking it back off.. Lol i have to take the bed off to get to everything. I have a regular receiver for these trucks but god does it hang down low.. Lol. I come up with some ideas and lose interest in them but i need a hitch for this trailer because i have no bed floor. I do not have capabilities to raise the bedfloor. Sigh.. Lack of tools and knowledge lol. Thanks man i appreciate your input. I will probably buy the hitch i have linked and try it out. Not that expensive anyways

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
I have no doubt this can work. My only concern for u is the lack of strength in that compressor mount. Only havin 2 bolts per side is sketchy for pullin. At the very least, I would seriously beef up the bolts u got.