BAD vibration while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
whats the best way to know for sure if the u joints are bad? I got up under there and tried moving the driveshaft around on both ends and I didn't feel any play like that

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It must be in neutral with the wheels chocked. If just in park, the weight of the vehicle against the drive shaft will prevent any movement, so you won't be able to detect any sloppy.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Or the "U" joint could be dry and seized up. Best bet is to pull the drive shaft and see how the joints swivel.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well its not the u joints. just replaced them with moog ones. still vibrates in this truck but not my other one. the trailer hitch is bolted and secure. the ball is on the receiver is tight. any ideas?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're positive it doesn't do it without a trailer hooked up?

At this point I would start checking rear axle bearings

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your tires as well, as in thoroughly, could have a cupped edge that only makes the vibes worse with a load on the tire, or a partially separated belt, try rotating them too if you don't see anything abnormal, just to see if it changes or moves

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're positive it doesn't do it without a trailer hooked up?

At this point I would start checking rear axle bearings

100% sure it doesn't do it without a trailer. was going 75 down the interstate for about 25 miles today. just as smooth as can be