BAD vibration while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so my truck, details in my sig, has a bad vibration at highway speeds between 70-75 mph while towing. wont go faster than that with a trailer. only while towing. it doesn't do it without a trailer. I just put all new bilstein hd shocks on it, checked, checked, and double checked to make sure the tires are balanced and the truck is aligned. and it is not the trailer. I pull the same trailer with my wifes suv and my other truck and the vibration isn't there. any ideas? thanks.

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check u joints. Also, if the rear end is sagging from the tongue weight, it might be enough to throw the driveline angles off to cause the vibration.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check u joints. Also, if the rear end is sagging from the tongue weight, it might be enough to throw the driveline angles off to cause the vibration.

I guess it could be the u joints. but weight shouldn't be a problem. its only a 6 foot, single axle trailer with a 4 wheeler on it.

95Suburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran with worst case scenario. You didn't mention what truck, or how much trailer. But I've had similar trailers make my old 99 suburban sag big time.
As for the ujoints, if they're marginal, then under load they can make themselves known. Another thing could be bearings in the rear axle starting to go bad. Again something you wouldn't notice until it's under load.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I am thinking "U" joints also........

BTW....you do realize that most trailer tires are only rated for 65 max...just sayin'

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am thinking "U" joints also........

BTW....you do realize that most trailer tires are only rated for 65 max...just sayin'

yeah I have no where near that much air in my trailer tires. and like I said, the trailer pulls fine with my other truck

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd check u joints, could also be transmission or engine mounts. Could it be possible your hitch isn't bolted down toght? Possible not enough bolts? Could the receiver be wore? Maybe the receiver insert is wore?
I've seen a GMT800 hitch's receiver actually be wore out to where the insert would rattle around when towing.