Backfiring through exhaust when engine is warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the module tested out good. Ran the test about six times to get it nice and warm and never failed. Went and bought some thermaltake tg-7 heat sink paste from the Best Buy (I didn't see any paste on the bottom of the module when I removed it... ran my finger on the bottom and didn't feel greasy or sticky either) took some alcohol and cleaned the mating surface up to make sure and get a good connection then slathered a healthy dose of heat sink goo on it. Slid the module back and forth a couple times to get a good deal and screwed it back down. Round 465.... fight!

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, Im about this close to dropping the dough and doing an LS swap... There are 4 2003 6.0's with the 4L80E's in my local pick and pull right now complete... I hate to be the ls swap fan boy but after doing my research the last couple days, the extra torque horsepower and tunability (yeah sue me, Im a sailor I spellz gud) is almost worth it.
Still thinking bout fixing my 5.7 right though.. Cards are not quite in play yet.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So after a lot of thought, some money minding, and some research, Im going to stick with the TBI 350... yeah I know, low horsepower, but damn the torque at idle is awesome, plus its a damned reliable engine for a DD. Im going to be snagging an extra 350TBI at the JY next couple weeks, and was wanting to drop the LT1 roller cam in it, as the computer will get along with it without having to find a chip programmer who actually knows what they are doing. My question is this though, who in the name of god carries the original GM cam???? I cant find the original LT1 cam anywhere to save my life, besides used ones... Id prefer to get new if possible. I figure the old girl's engine has had her day.. 289K on the odo, blow by like a monster, and leaks oil like a collander... But still will rip the tires loose (until she gets hot and backfires... havent been home this week to see if my fix last weekend fixed the issue or not.. Got to love the Navy...) Figure Ill rebuild this engine sometime down the road and mod the snot out of it as a playtoy for something.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the crowers cams they list factory specs? They didnt have any specs on them at all. And for some reason I couldnt get to Crowers website. Go figure, stupid navy interwebs.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IDK, but I have bought a good bit of stuff from Summit. If you can call them, you can talk to a tech who can
answer all of your questions. I always call in my orders for that reason. That way you know exactly what you are getting. There is also a place on there sight where you can ask a tech questions, but it's been a while sense I have used that. You will need to go to there home page, and dig around some.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, I find there ia a lot more on the web sight from a PC, than what is on the phone app.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll check it out tomorrow when I'm on duty. Just got back into port tonight and its bed time lol. On the plus side the engine seems to run pretty good now that I slapped the heat sink paste on the module. Still not happy with 20 psi oil pressure after it warms up and I'm driving. Drops to about fifteen at idle when warm but holds right between 20-25 when running about sixty (1800-2000 on the tach)

DReed1293

Reaction score
The previous owner of my green 95 did the same dumb **** (plugwires just drapped over **** and its 2 different sets) but my issue is a little different... the check engine light comes on and it starts missing bad around 2500 rpm but seems smooth at idle and higher rpms but then backfires when I let off the throttle after a good rev... would this be because the previous owner cut out the 02 sensor when he took out the cat

Last edited: