Back up lights question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nivensid

Reaction score
1990 GMC Sierra, need to trouble shoot the back up lights. When I put the truck in reverse the back up lights don't usually come on until I start moving in reverse. They will flicker when I put in reverse but don't fully activate until I start moving in reverse. That is not good enough to pass inspection. Any ideas where to start looking? Is the back up switch part of the neutral safety switch or is there a dedicated switch on the transmission? It is an automatic. I am at work now just trying yo come up with a plan of action when I get the chance to work on it. Thanks

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All the way through 1994 the reverse light switch (on an automatic) is part of the neutral safety switch, located at the base of the steering column on the interior side. It has teeth on it so you can nudge it side to side for adjustment. It sounds like yours just may need a tiny amount of adjusting.

Just look at the column right where it meets the firewall. You'll see a sort of crescent moon-shaped piece of plastic on top of it right by the firewall insulation padding. Block your tires front and rear so the truck can't roll either direction, set the parking brake, be safe ya know. Turn the key on but don't start the engine. Put it in reverse and have a helper watch while you adjust the switch. Shove it carefully; don't wanna break it or pop it out of the column.

Richard