Aussie GMC C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Getting there with the tray. BTW - Anyone know what the payload on the 3500 2wd is?
The single wheel 3500 should be rated at about 9,000 lb GVWR (about 4,000 kg) - the 4th digit of your VIN should be "G" indicating this. So once you weigh your completed vehicle, subtract that from the GVWR, and you'll have your legal load capacity.

The orange icon on the dash in the shape of an engine came on today, but cant work out what could be causing it. I don't have a code finder... anyone know the most likely causes?
Way too many things it could be without knowing the codes. I know you haven't found your diag port yet, but when you do, you'll need a scan tool. A decent one can cost a bundle and may have more functionality than you actually need. If you want something that can read/clear codes and live data, and not spend a fortune... $22 will get you a bluetooth dongle from BAFX Products (buy it from them; avoid copies) and $5 gets you the Torque Pro app for your Android smartphone or tablet. A lot of functionality for not much money.

Richard

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay great, thanks for the heads up. For now the light is off again. It comes on if I give it plenty of pedal, like full throttle. Then it stays on there for a day or so then clears itself. Weird.

I'll leep looking for the port and get a code reader...$30 or so is a cheap investment really.

Anyway, next job is cleaning up the welds and getting it blasted. My welding (stick) turned out horrible, more so from trying to weld thick with thin, blowing holes everywhere. Maybe the wife will let me get a gas welder? doubt it!

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I got the tray back from powdercoaters (I'll post a photo soon). Very happy with how it turned out. Anyway, I've had progress after being able to use the truck more.

The boost solenoid has failed. I opened it up and was rusty inside, so I haven't had boost and explains why I have never heard the turbo, even with a straight through exhaust now. I put it back together after a clean and it worked well for a few minutes then stopped again.

So I decided to check the vac lines from the pump, which seemed to have good suction, so I used that line and bypassed the solenoid for now. Obviously this means it will be running high boost (not sure exactly how much but only driving it easy as a temp measure). I still have the CEL on the dash, but that's normal given I took the solenoid off.

I've read about the pump removal and manual wastegate, small belt etc and happy to do that soon. But cant see how I can bypass the solenoid without codes, unless I get the ecu chip of whatever it is. Can I just plug a good solenoid back in - without any vacuum attached?

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a little slow progress, managed to get the new headlights in (not adjusted yet), installed the cab clearance lights and bought marker lights for the mirrors but haven't put them in yet.

Turbo is running a dream and with new thermostats its all running really well. The thermostats were opening up too early and causing it to run cold all the time.

I also added a bumper skirt for looks. Just need to get timber for the tray. BTW - I've used the lower rectangle lights for indicators.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. Next job is swapping out the worn accessory belt and getting the windows tinted. I have some film to try it out myself, but not sure it's worth it. Any one tried doing their own tint?