Aussie GMC C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking I can move the coolant reservoir back to it's original spot, but the brake master cylinder has been moved to that side next to the turbo...I have a feeling that was done with the RHD conversion, and that's way out of my league to change back to the other side.

And then there's the steering shaft, right in the way.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The turbo swap project is progressing - I'm going to do a test fit of the turbo on Friday. I thought the overflow bottle and the down pipe would be the issue, but due to the brake master cylinder being moved to the turbo side, the bigger turbo might not clear the brake lines.

I've bought plenty of 4" mandrel bends and straight exhaust - it should be a true 4" system from the turbo through if it fits.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know - I'm slow. I've been planning worst case scenario. If the turbo won't clear the brake lines I may have to buy a master cylinder with lines that exit on the opposite side. I think the Sonoma had something like that, but otherwise, being a GM there should be some other options.

Once I know the turbo fits I may still take up your offer to use your one as a jig for the exhaust. Has anyone replaced heir coolant overflow tank with something else - like a smaller one? Mine has to move I'm thinking of putting it behind the headlights.

Terrick down Under

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The coolant bottle can go vertually anywhere. The brake master cylinder can be relocated by a couple of inches using a bell-crank. Just has to be thought and measured out.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress report; the hx40 is on!! I lost the oil feed fitting so need to order another and the exhaust is only half complete but coming along. The turbo actuator arm was slightly touching the brake lines so we moved the lines only slightly and also cut out some of the actuator bracket as it wasn't needed. The rest of the swap has been much the same as the many other posts.

The downpipe is 4" from the turbo and has a tight radius but so far is clearing well of the electronics and firewall etc. I've also changed the crossover pipe too. I'll be back at it next week when we get the fitting and some more mig wire