audio stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7echo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I have been looking at options for speakers and radio. I like the look of the OEM radio. But, it has the problem where it is stuck on 1:00. I found a company that will repair it for $150. Not sure that is the smart thing to do tho. I am starting to think I should just do the Metra single din install where the new radio goes in the spot where the EQ or cassette player was originally. I have read the recommendation from a few on the board to get the Polk 4x6 plate speakers for these trucks. I would need 4, 2 in the dash and 2 in the pillars. What do you guys like for a radio? I am not big into audio but would like something simple and inexpensive. I am pulling the interior to finish sound deadening and will run new speaker wire.

Comments are appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're on the right track for sure. If you're not looking for anything specific or fancy, pretty much any of the big name brands will work fine for a head unit. Just stay away from no-name house brands like Dual and the super cheap Chinese stuff. Look for something with front, rear, and sub preouts in case you ever want to add external amps. Pretty sure all the big names include adjustable high and low pass filters these days, even on their budget head units, so you're good there.

Personally, I'm a Pioneer fan when it comes to head units. They or Alpine would be the two names I'd choose between.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Best thing I could have done for clean music in my truck was to get rid of the factory radio I did as you want to do installed a Alpine where my EQ was replaced the speakers and a sub.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind that with all the distracted driver problems with cell phones it is a matter of time till that using a handheld will be illegal every where. I would get a radio with blue tooth ability while your at it.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're going to replace the speakers as well, I believe just the rear are 4x6's fronts should be 6.5's. Not sure if this is something they switched with the interior upgrade (sounds like you've got one of the earlier models, I've got a '97), but thinking back to my mom's old '91, I don't remember oval speakers in the front.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're going to replace the speakers as well, I believe just the rear are 4x6's fronts should be 6.5's. Not sure if this is something they switched with the interior upgrade (sounds like you've got one of the earlier models, I've got a '97), but thinking back to my mom's old '91, I don't remember oval speakers in the front.

'95 and prior had 4x6s in the dash and rear pillars. No 6.5s.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'95 and prior had 4x6s in the dash and rear pillars. No 6.5s.

Very true on the size of speakers I suggest you buy good speakers for the rear ones because it's a lot of work if you buy some cheap speakers and they go out.