Ash tray light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda silly. But it's on gp that I have to figure this out now. The ash tray courtesy light has no power. Ground seems good, it is a brown and black wire. Looked it up in manual and followed it to the electrical box on firewall. No juice there either. What should I look check next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What year truck? I believe in the newer interiors it doesn't get power unless your headlights are on.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This may or may not help but on the 94 the ash tray light is on the courtesy fuse and the wires are in the same harness that the dome switch wiring is in. It's also easy to get this pinched in the steering column mount when you drop it to work on the dash. On the 94 it's also only on with the headlights/running lights

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Been kinda wondering, how I would remove the ash tray bulb on a 95-98? What is the procedure? Want to put an LED in there.

I apologize if I am hijacking your thread @kv5137.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been kinda wondering, how I would remove the ash tray bulb on a 95-98? What is the procedure? Want to put an LED in there.

I apologize if I am hijacking your thread @kv5137.

You have to remove the entire bottom of the dash to get to it. Hence the reason that both of mine are still burned out. :lol:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Well that stinks, oh well, shouldn't be too hard. Thanks man! :) Hopefully I won't have to remove the bezel to get the lower trim piece out.