Anyone tune TBI anymore??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loydw

Reaction score
I used Dave w to tune my 1994 350 with big heads and cam. it took a while but it runs great now. he will tell you what you need to swap chips. He uses tunerPro RT Good luck

Mgezee1992

Reaction score
Man, this is a lot of information. I didn't buy a Holley 670 tbi yet. Just looking to see what I can do with my own. Where can I find a bored out tbi that has all the mods on it and ready to go. Should I buy one off of eBay, the 46mm bored or the 50mm bored?

First off I wouldn't use the Holly throttle body. The stock TBI is capable of handling just about anything you can throw at it. If this is a 350 motor it's more than enough to handle the power. You can add bigger injectors, increase the fuel pressure and so on. Your going to need a different Fuel pump for sure. You can buy a throttle body all done for under$300 without injectors. This is a bored out, polished and milled body. As far as injectors I'd as the throttle body shop, who sells the Reworked Throttle Body what they would recommend for your motor. I tried a Holly TBI and it lasted less than a hundred miles before one of the injectors burnt out. The factory one is a simple unit that is very easy to tune. If you buy it already done it's just a matter of putting it on with a new fuel pump and your basically done. I Reworked mine myself and added the pump, pressure spring, injectors and a gasket kit and it runs great!!! I also put on a Elderbrock intake manifold while I was at it. I didn't open up the motor but added headers with a 3" exhaust and a few other bolt on goodies. It idles great and has great throttle response. Another way to get Free horsepower out of your motor is to adjust the valves like this: With the engine running loosen up the nut on the rocker arm until it just starts to tick. Wait a few seconds and very slowly tighten it down until it just barely stops ticking. Tighten another half turn and your done. I know you are saying that oil is going to spray everywhere! You can buy clips that go over the rocker arms that keep the oil from going all over. Do this and you won't believe how much of a difference it makes. You'll get faster response and smoother running and you'll be able to get another 500+ RPM safely out of the engine. I have done this to my truck and my van and it's amazing how much different they run. Let me know if you try this. Another thing is that you are probably going to have trouble finding a chip. It seems like people like you and me who have older vechiels don't have the variety later trucks do. But because of the simple ECM we have you can do a few things that you don't need a chip for. I covered the TBI and my valve trick now try bumping up your timing. I run mine at 10° advance for the initial setting. Don't forget to disconnect the brown wire by the distributor. A high flow air filter always helps. You can also run underdrive pullies for a couple of extra horses. Good wires and plugs are good for a few more. All these things together add up to more power from your new engine. If I can help you in any way don't hesitate to contact me. I have been tuning TBI's since the early ninety's and my trucks run great!

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A stock big block throttle body already has 2” bores and will accept any flow rated TBI injectors, but to get the full benefit of the additional airflow, you need either a bored out TBI intake, or a carb intake with an adapter plate. I tried the bigger throttle body on an unmodified Edelbrock small block TBI intake and it did not work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mgezee1992

Reaction score
Im running the Dynamic EFI EBL Flash, and do my own tuning. http://www.dynamicefi.com/EBL_Flash.php
I tune it off of my laptop and do it in everyday driving-which gives you everyday driving results. Most dyno tuning is for wide open throttle-which is fine if you drive that way-but doesnt always do much for everyday driving.

Man, I would love to do this. What did you actually buy?