Anyone try one of these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are pretty cheap on the 'bay. It is a remote control for the truck radio (in my case a Kenwood) that copies the signal from a handheld remote control and will operate as a steering wheel remote. I have no idea if they work or how well but it seems like a great idea. I have the Kenwood remote and it works well from the driver's seat but this would be nice to use from the steering wheel if it works.

Have any of you guys tried one or am I breaking new ground here? I will report results positive or negative. It will be a few days getting here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of crickets chirping but no voices on this topic so I am hereby planning to pass along a report as soon as this toy comes in and I get a chance to try it. I would love to have an easy way to operate the radio and answer the phone from the steering wheel of the truck. If this little gadget will do it I am WAY ahead.

We will let you know. If it performs as advertised one of the main arguments against an aftermarket radio will be gone. That is the long reach to the middle of the cab that makes it difficult for some to make adjustments to the radio or answer a phone. More to come and maybe film at eleven.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
This seems real useful. Is it advertised to work with all radios or just kenwoods (I have a pioneer)? Link?

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it's a waste of money.

And my money to waste. I will let everyone know if it works. It is not brand specific and supposedly has a "learning" setup so that you can use the remote that came with the radio to embed the codes for that radio. It cost about 10 bucks which would be well spent if it works . If it does not work I will happily report that fact and possibly keep someone else from wasting their money.

I do know that the Kenwood remote works fine from the drivers position but is not easily mountable on the steering wheel. The idea is a good one, we will see what happens. @blacksport if you have had experience please edit your post and tell us more.

Here is the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153042016296

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And my money to waste. I will let everyone know if it works. It is not brand specific and supposedly has a "learning" setup so that you can use the remote that came with the radio to embed the codes for that radio. It cost about 10 bucks which would be well spent if it works . If it does not work I will happily report that fact and possibly keep someone else from wasting their money.

I do know that the Kenwood remote works fine from the drivers position but is not easily mountable on the steering wheel. The idea is a good one, we will see what happens. @blacksport if you have had experience please edit your post and tell us more.

Here is the link.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153042016296
okay i'll explain my viewpoint. i have been into car audio for over 24 years and i have had remote's for around 20 yrs for me they never made a difference i mostly lost them.my last 3 cars and my current had steering wheel controls i found that i only use the forward back when it comes to volume i reach for the knob.however your mileage may vary.my truck has a pioneer in it and a remote i did Velcro to stick it and keep track of it but i find myself just using the controls on the radio.it's not like it's a far reach.
i will admit i have dumped 4k on a stereo more than once. ahhh to b young and foolish......
the way i drive that remote would get in the way of my steering and looking down at it to push the right button is as bad as texting again the controls on the radio face are intuitive for me.
i'm sure it will work i used a learning remote to convert the steering wheel controls in my firebird to work on my kenwood and it worked great. but i'm interested to see if you find it useful strapped to the steering wheel instead of being a actual part of the wheel.
if you find it works for you and you like it than it's a wonderful thing.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the way i drive that remote would get in the way of my steering

This was the first thought that came to my mind as well. That and the fact that it's a bit ugly. To each their own, though. Hope it works.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have steering controls on one of my trucks and I still find myself using the knob on the radio. But I can see where some of the aftermarket radios could be a fumble around to select or control. To each his own if it works and make's it easier for you, looking forward to final review .

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good points all. The main reason I want it is the Telephone answering setup on my Kenwood is somewhat clunky, especially when driving. I use Bluetooth phone on my Honda Accord and really like it. Once I get the phone answered I like it on my trucks too, but it is harder to answer on the trucks and easy to press the wrong button. (I have the same Kenwood in my Van and my Pickup) While the distance from driver seat to the aftermarket radio position is not a problem for me, some people have complained that reaching to the center of the truck is too much of a stretch for them. Something like this might be a help.

This is mainly a test to see if an add on control will be easier to use to answer the phone. This will be particularly useful in my Van as I frequently have calls when driving to a show. The volume control and station change are easy enough on the Radio.

I will update after I have a chance to try it. Thank you all for your comments.

Last edited:

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i agree.i have added bluetooth radio's to my truck the firebird and my son's accord got my bluetooth kenwood when i sold the firebird. i loved that kenwood. great head unit!
it drives me crazy when i see people holding a phone up in NEW cars that all have bluetooth built in.