Anyone put a 3 way component set up front?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a kicker 2 way component set in the factory locations in my 98 extended cab that I want to replace. My buddy at JL audio is trying to convince me to put a 3way system in. Anyone done it before? Were you able to keep it at least somewhat stock looking? Some pics would be awesome.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd stick with two way if I were you. Three way components are a lot more work for zero gains over a standard two way system. In fact, they can sound worse than a two way if the midbass drivers aren't positioned correctly. In any system with multiple drivers, you want them as close to eachother as possible. That way your ears think the sound is coming from a central location. If you have a three way setup with all three drivers spread out, it's going to sound like garbage because different frequencies are hitting your ears from different angles. The only frequency range this doesn't apply to is deep bass, like sub 60hz. That's why subwoofer placement isn't as important as the other drivers in the system. Sound that deep just seems to come from everywhere.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
i have a regular cab, but......i put JBL 2 way components with the crossover in my doors. tweets under the screens, 6 1/2" in door on bottom, stock location and the crossovers are mounted inside the doors....Pioneer pancake 2 way 4X6(for fill) in cab corners, a JL Audio 8" reflex box behind the passenger seat(removed the jack and cut the plastic box to fit)....i have a great little JL Audio 5 channel amp (XD700/5v2)under my seat. it's run with 4G stranded wire and 200A breaker...has provisions to run the bass box..........truck ROCKS......when i can't ride and have to be in my cage, i need great quality audio. most of these components came out of my K/5 except the box, i had a 10" reflex in the back of that truck.....i use a decent Pioneer head unit in the dash with an install kit from Crutchfield. where the cd player was i now have a little cubbie thing for glasses and incidentals......i love the setup.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd stick with two way if I were you. Three way components are a lot more work for zero gains over a standard two way system. In fact, they can sound worse than a two way if the midbass drivers aren't positioned correctly. In any system with multiple drivers, you want them as close to eachother as possible. That way your ears think the sound is coming from a central location. If you have a three way setup with all three drivers spread out, it's going to sound like garbage because different frequencies are hitting your ears from different angles.

Now this is something I haven't heard about before. Currently I have the components in the oem locations, and was going to add the 3rd driver in between the two if I'm looking at the door right. Should be ok with them that close I'd think?
i have a regular cab, but......i put JBL 2 way components with the crossover in my doors. tweets under the screens, 6 1/2" in door on bottom, stock location and the crossovers are mounted inside the doors....Pioneer pancake 2 way 4X6(for fill) in cab corners, a JL Audio 8" reflex box behind the passenger seat(removed the jack and cut the plastic box to fit)....i have a great little JL Audio 5 channel amp (XD700/5v2)under my seat. it's run with 4G stranded wire and 200A breaker...has provisions to run the bass box..........truck ROCKS......when i can't ride and have to be in my cage, i need great quality audio. most of these components came out of my K/5 except the box, i had a 10" reflex in the back of that truck.....i use a decent Pioneer head unit in the dash with an install kit from Crutchfield. where the cd player was i now have a little cubbie thing for glasses and incidentals......i love the setup.

Pretty close to my current setup actually. Kicker RS 6.5" components up front, infinity 4x6 plates in the rear, kicker 12" in customer under rear seat box, and a 4 channel amp powering it after the 5 channel was stolen a while back.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Should be OK, but like I said I see no reason to put all that work in. I prefer a good two way setup any day.

n8pu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I got my truck back in 2011 I think it among other things that needed TLC was my radio, my truck is an extend (3 door) cab. I wish I could tell you was put in but I can't I had them installed by a local car audio shop. They showed me my only good (OEM) speaker, I don't know how it made sound, the other three, well trash would be to good of a word to describe them. A couple of days later I went back telling them when I turn up the volume on the (stock) Delco it sounded like I was about to blow those new speakers, not a chance they said, they said the amp in the stock radio was running out of power was all.

So I had them install an Alpine in there, WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE. More sensitive too, the old radio I could have it go a quarter way across the dial before it found a station, new one, could hardly move before it stopped on the next station. Side note on that, I spent the first 20 ish years of my life in Pontiac Mi, and had developed the idea anything above Flint was the back woods with hardly anything to offer, so the old Delco radio proved my point. Anyway I then had tunes and a good speaker system, BUT where is/was the lows.

I went back again and talked about a sub woofer, could one be put in there, sure, no problem, we'll just put a low profile 8 inch sub in there, that and a 300 watt amp. Now I have close to what I want, UNTIL my son got a speaker system put in by those same people along with TWO 12 inch sub woofers.......... Because his 2000 Yukon (the long Suburban size one) has more room, and bigger speakers now his blows mine out of the water.

I guess the short of all this rambling is, whatever speakers you decide on boredandstroked see if they have a at least part of the speakers hooked up so you can at least get an idea of what they might sound like. Granted you won't know for sure until they are installed. Good luck.