Anyone interested in a 4l60e Transmission Interchange Guide/Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LT1/TA

Reaction score
I would like to see if there is any interest in starting a thread to help each out on 4l60e trans swap/interchange between year models.

There is a lot information that we have as a collective that could help clear up some questions and shed some light on some gray areas.

If there is any interest I will add what I can from my own experiences with interchanging 4l60e's in different year models.I know
that many of you members have information from your own experiences.

Thanks for any input Guys

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will add 95 is a stand alone year 95 trans is only for that year.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
The differences are mostly electronic
93 is the first year for the 4L60E. .
93-94(without pwm pump)--5 solenoids
94 -95 with pwm pump--6 solenoids w/blue connectors, for extra pwm solenoid
96-02--6 solenoids w/grey connectors, had different ohm rating in the solenoids
97 had a few changes with oil flow in the pump,the internals are mostly the same.
98 started the removable bell housing, but internals were the same.

s10 4l60e is the same except 1 less clutch/steel pack in the 3/4 clutches, v6 fullsize may be the same?

Last edited:

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I will add 95 is a stand alone year 95 trans is only for that year.

not true, it will work in late 94's that were equipped with a pwm pump and work in 96+ if you swap solenoids, 96+ had a different ohm rating but swapping those basically makes it the same as the late 94--95 pwm equipped unit

Last edited:

LT1/TA

Reaction score
I just put a 95 pwm trans in my non pwm 94 Z71 and it works fine,I had to put a spring in the valve body for the TCC regulator valve so that it would lock the valve in the open position and this eliminates the PWM function.I ran into a snag on the shifter linkage on my 94 because the shifter shaft on the 95 sticks out a little more for the PRNDL switch on the side of the trans,but this just pushed the linkage a little closer to the frame no modification needed.

I have also put a two piece 98 model 4l60e in the place of 97 model one piece and I had to swap the cooler line fittings from the clip style back to flare fitting style and this swap worked just fine and customer was happy.

Last edited:

mattgotachevy

Reaction score
hello. Im sorry to dig up an old thread here. But as mentioned you can swap the solenoids from a 95 trans into a 96. Can anyone explain the process of how to do that? I have a fresh rebuilt 96 4l60e that I am trying to put in my 95 tahoe. Also LT1/TA mentioned about locking out the tcc regulator valve, is that something that can be done in replace of swapping solenoids or is that if its going in a non pwm application?

rickyrayjay

Reaction score
I just put a 95 pwm trans in my non pwm 94 Z71 and it works fine,I had to put a spring in the valve body for the TCC regulator valve so that it would lock the valve in the open position and this eliminates the PWM function.I ran into a snag on the shifter linkage on my 94 because the shifter shaft on the 95 sticks out a little more for the PRNDL switch on the side of the trans,but this just pushed the linkage a little closer to the frame no modification needed.

I have also put a two piece 98 model 4l60e in the place of 97 model one piece and I had to swap the cooler line fittings from the clip style back to flare fitting style and this swap worked just fine and customer was happy.

I am attempting a 99 into a 97. Any ya or no's? It's NOT from an LS setup. It was the older generation setup. Guy I got it from had it in his 98. Just wondering if I will run into any issues. Overall length is same, output shaft end to face meeting t-case same. Electronics look same.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I am attempting a 99 into a 97. Any ya or no's? It's NOT from an LS setup. It was the older generation setup. Guy I got it from had it in his 98. Just wondering if I will run into any issues. Overall length is same, output shaft end to face meeting t-case same. Electronics look same.
You will probably get more responses if you make a new thread. The guy you quoted hasn't logged in since 2015.