anyone derby??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
If there is one thing I learned in a derby, 5w-30 is your oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and diff fluid because why buy individual things when you need the car to put out one good show :D

Went with a buddy and ran a 90s toyota tercel once, it was toast after it's first race.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
I'm from Stanton ky, around 30minutes from Winchester, but i run alot of shows in surrounding counties

I've never messed with the mini fuel injected cars, so i can't help you to much, what's the purpose behind the Civic radiator?

I assume the spray foam is to keep your radiator from busting right? I've always ran two ratchet straps around it and the core support, then snugged it down, adding foam where it touches metal, I've had good luck with it, plus if you DO lose a radiator it only takes 5 mins to swap in a new one

Have you heard of the double tire trick yet?
I've been through there before,let me know when they have some events down that way,I'm always looking for an excuse for a road trip lol

The older civic radiators are half-size,i have two nice ones and a bunch that'd work for a demo car from all the EF and EG civics I've had. If they kept my hondas cool at 8k+rpms then i think itd be fine for the wagon,plus half the size means i can hide it behind something strong like the extra fans and tranny coolers

Spray foam is mainly to keep the radiator from folding up under my motor mount again,and to hold it in place a little better. I learned my lessons last season with just throwing a radiator in lol. I took 4 days putting one back into my century just for it to be out on the 2nd or 3rd hit,my buddy who spray foamed his radiator in(almost 5yrs ago) still hasnt had issues out of his car,and its a buick reatta which is surprising lol. I've seen them destroyed in a few hits from w body cars,but all his spray foam tricks and spare tires in the trunk really helped xD

Oh yeah,i wont run tires that arent atleast doubled. The cleats i used had a tube,dummy tire,then the cleat stretched over. My buddy i borrowed them from calls em the ***** cleats because theyve been around for about 7 or 8 years and they've been on over 20 cars. Somehow they still have life left for next year lol,I got another identical set though but brand new in the garage just incase those ones finally bite the dust

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
If there is one thing I learned in a derby, 5w-30 is your oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and diff fluid because why buy individual things when you need the car to put out one good show :D

Went with a buddy and ran a 90s toyota tercel once, it was toast after it's first race.

I thought my century was trash after one heat,it didnt have any brakes and i nailed the wall pretty hard a few times. Packed in on itself in the rear and kinda nosed the front up,bent a strut and mangled my rear axle lol. I got it straightened out with a trackhoe and she was good to go and better than before it ran...run number 2 pancaked it though lol you only dump money into the ones that you know will last

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it depends alot on the class, most full size guys around here care about there setup, i run a roller 305 with a small cam, Holly 4412, 400 turbo tranny, and a ten bolt with bia and 4.11s currently, all get the appropriate lubricants, i usually run diesel oil in my motors because it seems to take heat a little better due to it's thickness

Currently piecing together a LS set up, i got a killer deal on the carb intake, and 6014 mad box with matching harness, as soon as i find a 4.8 or 5.3 it'll be going in a square body impala 300horsepower from the factory and 340 some torque, plus 4.11s should be pretty fun

I'm a big fan of the 700-14 tractor treads, you can get them on simple tire.com for around 55bucks a piece, free shipping, 6 ply, they grip really good, also the 23 8.50 14 skid steer are awesome, but there over priced and don't seem to grip as good IMO

You need to get on that full size band wagon and bring one down! Stanton has there derby in September, but it usually has around 30-40 mini, 20ish "stock" and 20-30 pro mod, Versailles also has a really good one, as well as Winchester

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the newest addition to the family, 88 impala with 53,000 original miles CLEAN

You must be registered for see images attach

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
I think it depends alot on the class, most full size guys around here care about there setup, i run a roller 305 with a small cam, Holly 4412, 400 turbo tranny, and a ten bolt with bia and 4.11s currently, all get the appropriate lubricants, i usually run diesel oil in my motors because it seems to take heat a little better due to it's thickness

Currently piecing together a LS set up, i got a killer deal on the carb intake, and 6014 mad box with matching harness, as soon as i find a 4.8 or 5.3 it'll be going in a square body impala 300horsepower from the factory and 340 some torque, plus 4.11s should be pretty fun

I'm a big fan of the 700-14 tractor treads, you can get them on simple tire.com for around 55bucks a piece, free shipping, 6 ply, they grip really good, also the 23 8.50 14 skid steer are awesome, but there over priced and don't seem to grip as good IMO

You need to get on that full size band wagon and bring one down! Stanton has there derby in September, but it usually has around 30-40 mini, 20ish "stock" and 20-30 pro mod, Versailles also has a really good one, as well as Winchester
Man i just scrapped a 5.3,it sat outside for 2yrs and needed rebuilt but i wouldve sold it for 50 bucks lol
The turnout down there sounds a little more even. At my local fair (preble county) there was like 102 cars in wire tie alone,at darke county i think it was 120ish,all i know is there was 4 heats of fwd wire cars lol people take wire class seriously up here,1200 for first place in a $200 car has alot of people catching derby fever

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
It's that time of year again:banana-mario: derby season is upon us! Who all is as ready as i am? Lol.
Anyone running anything cool? I'm building my first fwd weld car this year,my 92 accord. Got a few awesome plans to bulletproof it and got a "sponsor" from the honda forum im on,pretty pumped about that lol. But im gonna start getting it ready soon,now that i can take/post pictures with this phone I'll be sure to document my progress this year.

__CHI__

Low Life
Reaction score
Heres my new derby car. 99 malibu with a 3100. Frame is trash in the back. Does it look fixable enough to daily drive? Or should i just put a plate under the trunk,run bolts through it to the trailing arm and tighten it for the derby? This thing is super nice other than the frame,almost hate to send it lol

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres my new derby car. 99 malibu with a 3100. Frame is trash in the back. Does it look fixable enough to daily drive? Or should i just put a plate under the trunk,run bolts through it to the trailing arm and tighten it for the derby? This thing is super nice other than the frame,almost hate to send it lol

Those cars are trash, I've worked on way to many of them. the 3100 is a decent motor, but gutless. I say crash it up!

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I'd part out the good parts and derby it. Rip the interior out and post it on CL, someone might get it. eBay too.

That rust is BAD. Lol