Anybody running remote starts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've got Viper on both trucks too, works great.

Comment about good connectors is important, but also good crimps. Those "make a little dent" crimp tools that you find everywhere are garbage. Shop around a little and find a set of ratcheting crimpers. These have a wider crush area and more positive engagement of the connector barrel.

I scored some at a swap meet many years ago for under $25, and they've been worth their weight in gold. You don't have to buy a million dollar example; mine are cheap-by-comparison knockoffs, but still do a great job.

Like any electrical stuff, installation is everything.

Just did a quickie search and here's a great example, only $20. Not the exact same ones I got but pretty much identical. https://www.amazon.com/Ratcheting-Solderless-CML-Supply-101-900/dp/B0002KR9GQ

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll solder it in. I'm not a fan of connectors in general

Understandable, and I can't blame you for that thought. However I've always been told that for the majority of automotive connections you really want those crimp connectors that Richard linked. Something to do with the flexing and vibrations that the joints are subjected to.

I'm sure either way will work fine, just sharing some random knowledge.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah; you'll notice most wiring connections throughout a vehicle are -not- soldered. Solder is not a strong mechanical connection, it is only good electrically. Vibration cracks it over time.

Properly done solderless connectors are a better bet for stuff like this.

I'm not an anti-solder guy; hell I keep a nice Weller on my desk at all times - for other work.

Richard

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I am making one from scratch. It has two interfaces. One is GSM so that I can send commands via text message and receive status updates. The other interface uses Bluetooth BLE (Simblee from RF Digital) and can be operated from any smartphone that has the password. This way I can install it in all my vehicles and have access to the locks and remote start of any vehicle with one device. No more keyfobs!

Cool bonus to this:

This plan is also working out nicely for ease of install. My wife doesn't want me to wire anything to her vehicle, but she has factory remote start. The chip I am using is low power without the GSM module and can be powered from a coin cell battery. I just wire the board to the factory keyfob and its battery, throw it in a box, then stash it somewhere in the vehicle. Replace the battery once a month and call it good! Perfect solution for a leased vehicle that has factory remote start.

And yes, when it is complete everyone on here will have exclusive access to it. I will post the plans and directions, you just order the parts and go with it.

plouth

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Viper, and the thing works great! Super far range on the remote, and lcd display helps let you know what stage it's in. I did not do the install, but it was $250.00 installed.

Scottlavice

Reaction score
I'm running this Avital 5305L if you notice it's the same number as the Viper one above. Directed™ owns all the major company's Clifford, Viper, Avital etc. something like 8-10. They have all the same features and brain just different remotes. Anyway this 5305 models have more features and options than I can list do a google search and you'll see. For me I took two evenings to do the install myself: first night ran all the wiring, and second soldered and heat shrunk everything. Good luck

You must be registered for see images attach