Any boosted guys still alive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Found an l31 Whipple. Have a ton of questions. Anyone around that could point me in the right direction before I go and buy this thing and f myself in the a?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Not everyone wants an LS motor Skylark. c'Mon!

I already answered a bunch of questions in PM. Like we talked about, if it's complete, still plan to get it rebuilt so you know what you are working with. If you are doing it for some extra power and to be unique, then it's the ticket. I know I've had a lot of trial and error with mine but it's damn quick for a truck and it's way cooler than going out and buying a new truck.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not everyone wants an LS motor Skylark. c'Mon!
I wasn't going to even suggest an LS. I responded to Tyler in the chat thread as well. He had a bad ass vortec 5.0 that he recently pulled to do an LS swap. He has knowledge of the small block /Whipple combo as well as 411 swap. For what Tyler does the 5.7 is the better choice unless he dropped the gear ratio and does a forced induction LS. Like me:D

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought that is what you were referring to, my bad. My bad everyone.

Sorry I just got back from 4 days of no technology and booze. 120 people in the woods for a party is pretty intense.
No worries Dave! Your weekend reminds me of the "good old days".

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I wasn't going to even suggest an LS. I responded to Tyler in the chat thread as well. He had a bad ass vortec 5.0 that he recently pulled to do an LS swap. He has knowledge of the small block /Whipple combo as well as 411 swap. For what Tyler does the 5.7 is the better choice unless he dropped the gear ratio and does a forced induction LS. Like me:D

A-ha! See this was my thought exactly! I have no clue about these kinds of things but something has always told me that I would be better off with the l31 than an LS. I don't hate the LS platform at all. I've driven and towed with many of them and they perform well. But I love my l31. And as far as LS swaps they aren't just a bolt on deal. You have wiring, custom exhaust, custom intake plumbing, power steering, air conditioning, e fans, engine mounts, and what seems like a bazillion other items to mess with. I'm not at the point in this build where I'm ready for a change that is as invasive and immersive as an LS swap. I just want to make some easy changes I can enjoy right now.
The Whipple seems like a fairly straight forward install, can be run reliably on a bone stock l31. It's designed to work with what's there. Yes. There are improvements that should be made. Like a 411 swap with proper tuning, upgraded injectors etc.

The way I see this is I just recently put 1200 into my exhaust. The headers were a gift that I had made a huge ass deal about for the longest time and Emily went well out of her way to spend too much money to get them for me. I'm keeping them. I have a long term commitment to see this engine out as long as I possibly can. I've got it to over a quarter of a million miles. I'd love nothing more than to see it go that much further without coming apart to have internals replaced. I take pride in my rescue truck.

It's not a race truck. It never will be. It's my weekend and nice weather warrior. It plays in the sand, tows my bath toy, and does some moderate trail riding on top of being my nice weather cruiser. That's what I've always wanted out of it. If I can make little improvements to its capabilities of performing the tasks above and still stay reliable I'll be a happy man. I don't need the fastest truck, loudest truck, or even the biggest. Hell after driving the car for months I was just happy to get in and drive it down the damn road again.

I'm probably gonna be getting engaged soon, then I'll be having a wedding to pay for next year. I don't have space for huge undertaking projects. That's why I haven't found a body donor for it yet or lifted it. No room to do the ****. The money is there.

Sent from a flagged XT1254
Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Sadly the Whipple had to get let go. It was a great thought but it needed an overhaul. I decided to put the money elsewhere. I did get engaged. The wedding is about 3 months out.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hahahaha that is comedic gold right there.

Tyler/T-Unit