answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Yaz

Reaction score
I’ve read through all the common trans problems and I feel I’m having issue number 2 but I want to be sure before I throw money I dont have to fix it.

- Truck won’t shift until you let off the accelerator 1-2 gear, have to be going at least 20mph for it to shift
- If you accelerate too hard in 2nd gear, truck dumps back into 1st (tried do this to me at 40mph once) so you have to creep gradually building up to 3rd gear
- Truck puts up more of a fight to shift to 2nd when truck is cold or when trying to upshift on an incline
- I’ve noticed truck is very slightly shuddery low in 2nd gear

I’ve hooked to a scanner back when I first got the truck a year ago as it’s done it since I’ve owned it and transmission pulled no trouble codes. I’ve drove it the same way since then, another 16k miles (157k on it currently) and issue hasn’t changed any.

Reading other write-ups in another forum with someone with similar 4L60E problems they found their issue to be their TPS but the difference wih theirs I took it as is they had to let off to shift any gear, not just 1-2. Is it a safe bet a TPS would fix my problem or should I look in elsewhere?

1994 Chevrolet C1500 SCSB 4.3L 4L60E

westex

Reaction score
I’ve read through all the common trans problems and I feel I’m having issue number 2 but I want to be sure before I throw money I dont have to fix it.

- Truck won’t shift until you let off the accelerator 1-2 gear, have to be going at least 20mph for it to shift
- If you accelerate too hard in 2nd gear, truck dumps back into 1st (tried do this to me at 40mph once) so you have to creep gradually building up to 3rd gear
- Truck puts up more of a fight to shift to 2nd when truck is cold or when trying to upshift on an incline
- I’ve noticed truck is very slightly shuddery low in 2nd gear

I’ve hooked to a scanner back when I first got the truck a year ago as it’s done it since I’ve owned it and transmission pulled no trouble codes. I’ve drove it the same way since then, another 16k miles (157k on it currently) and issue hasn’t changed any.

Reading other write-ups in another forum with someone with similar 4L60E problems they found their issue to be their TPS but the difference wih theirs I took it as is they had to let off to shift any gear, not just 1-2. Is it a safe bet a TPS would fix my problem or should I look in elsewhere?

1994 Chevrolet C1500 SCSB 4.3L 4L60E

I am having the same exact issues, i am going to try the TPS sensor. Anyone else have ideas?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have #4.

1998 Tahoe with 160K miles on it

4. 1-2 shift is delayed and harsh, may not shift into OD: Check TPS for smooth and linear electrical response over the entire range of motion. If not, replace.

I have a 0411 PCM in the truck that Lextech set up for me. I am almost positive that I picked up this hard 1/2 upshift after doing the PCM swap. Lextech could not figure it out and even sent me another PCM which didnt change anything I never reinstalled the blackbox ECM. This was over 2 years ago I have learned to drive the truck in a manner that I can get it shift easy into 2nd gear if I time it just right and let off the throttle just prior to the upshift.
I have also had issues with the converter unlocking on me while cruising on the highway. It would only unlock and lock randomly IF it was raining out. I think I fixed that a couple months ago with new plugs. The PCM was picking up a random misfire but not enough to trigger a code. I found the misfires using an app called Dash Command. Just recently, maybe about 3 times a month, the converter will not go into lockup after I get to a cruising speed on the highway. I have to let out of the throttle for a second and then it will lock up and all will be good for the ride home.

I did the trans filter and fluid last summer and didnt notice anything abnormal. Ive also monitored the trans temp and after driving around for an hour last night in 50 degree temps outside, the trans temp never got over 140 degrees.
I know this is a common issue but there are a LOT of things that can cause this. Does anyone have an advice or info for me that can point me in the right direction to fix this?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have a feeling my issue is trans related just due to the fact it only has issues during TC lockup. Truck runs and drives fine under light to moderate acceleration, but, as soon as the convertor locks, the truck falls on it's face, stumbles and sputters. Let off enough to unlock the convertor and it's perfectly fine again.

Also stumbles while idling in gear at a stop light, or idling in gear and rolling. Touch the throttle, the convertor unlocks, and the truck runs just fine again......

Also note that while traveling at highway speed, the converter will initially lockup in 4th like it should, cause the truck to putter out, it'll unlock after a few moments and remain unlocked.

This is a 97 k1500 with a 5.7

I'm lost.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

Smokingtires

Reaction score
Truck: ‘97 GMC Sierra w/4L60E rebuilt 40k miles ago approx 2 yrs ago. Told it was give a “Level 1” shift kit, not sure what that entails?

Setup: Truck has SAS with 14 bolt rear end and 4.88 gears and 35” tires. Fluid is full and no check engine light.

Probem: shifts are too quick between all all gears. Is this possibly a PCM issue?

Where should I start?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when changing bell housing on my 4l60e with removable bell do I need to replace bolts with new ones
I highly doubt the bell housing uses torque to yield bolts. Maybe someone else can give you a more informed answer, but i can't see any reason why you would need to replace the bolts.

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok how do I determine what year 4l60e I have, the one out of the truck has a longer shift shaft then the one I got to go in it, the electric box on the side of tranny that goes over the shift shaft is the only difference.

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to bypass the lever position sensor / netural safety switch on my 98 Chevy 2wd 4l60e, the transmission I bought for it the shift lever on it is shorter then the one pulled out, so the sensor will not go on with the shifter cable.