answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zbarbwire152

Reaction score
Couldnt find my problem in here. Ive had a problem recently where if i give it more gas to where the pedal is on the floor the RPMs go up and it makes a ton of noise but never shifts up nor increases speed.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Couldnt find my problem in here. Ive had a problem recently where if i give it more gas to where the pedal is on the floor the RPMs go up and it makes a ton of noise but never shifts up nor increases speed.

Sounds like slipping to me. Check the basics like fluid but I'd be planning on a rebuild.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or you broke a hard part inside the trans. Slipping usually doesn't make any noise, but if your getting some racket then something probably broke.

97ChevyZ71

Reaction score
I got 97 4x4 with a 4l60e,

I'll start drivin and it wont shift into 2nd till 4k then once its in second it wont shift any higher, it'll just go to the rpm limit. From 2nd gear i manually shift into 3rd and it just revs up. i bought it a couple months ago to do a restoration (in progress) and he said drivetrain was great , ya well i got screwed over there :banghead: idk why i didnt test drive it for some stupid reason. But im guess a R&R

93SierraZ71

Reaction score
I bought a '95 Chevy 4X4 for a restoration project, previous owner randomly lost reverse without noise or warning. The rest of the gears worked and the truck shifted fine, I actually drove it to work for awhile while my '93 was in the shop. Checked the fluid right after I bought it and it was blackish brown and low. Added more new fluid to top it up and still nothing. If I'm moving slowly forward and shift into reverse the truck shakes and shudders and comes to a stop but then acts like it's in neutral. Pulled the pan and put in new filter but waiting on tensioner (truck doubles as parts truck for the '93) to see if I can reclaim reverse. I lost reverse in the '93 for a few days but managed to get it back by adding fluid and revving it up slowly, then it slammed into gear and I started flying backwards ;) Do you think I'm wasting my time? Thanks

Reaction score
So my trans is slipping once I get above 4000 rpm in first or second at WOT. would my best bet is to change the oil and filter and tps and then go from there?

REALFUNCO

Reaction score
hELP ANYONE.
have a 95 C2500. 160000 miles, 5.7 liter engine. auto 4l60e I believe the 3-4 clutch paks are bad. I have I have first and second but third slips and it can't shift to fourth.

I pulled the pan and it was clean, fluid clean.

The numbers on the case are 95 42894 and 2420222G 4l60e
The valve body numbers are 94 286 5A 293 Lester 1 868 4212.
If that is a non compatible valve body, that could be the cause of the failure.

I can get a bone yard M30 out of a 95 van with a 5.7 engine. Will that swap or not?? A local tranny shop told me 95-97 are totally interchangeable. I've read that 95 are stand alone and not interchangeable with any other year with out using a 95 valvle body.

The speedometer is not consistent. Would that be the VSS on the tailshaft?
The windshield wipers are only getting 5 volts--I hread an ignition switch could be the problem????I dont know.

Is the M30 a 4l60e made in Mexico. The tranny shop told me that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

REALFUNCO

Reaction score
I made an error on the last post on my CASE NUMBER 95 4294 2420222 g

I read that M30 is a GM code for 4 speed auto.

REALFUNCO

Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to a website to decode my transmission numbers.
Also compatability, like will a 95 van work in a 95 truck.??