answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
it sounds like its going into lock up mode, mines done that before, its pretty much like a safe mode, now what causes it can be random

On number 28. You can add, if you want to, "welded/ fused clutches will cause this as well"

You must be registered for see images attach

blue96

HANO Motorsports
Reaction score
I'm going to yank my motor/trans sometime soon, would you mind inspecting it for me? I'm going to have to refresh it before I swap in the 5.3. Also, it (4L60e) never did quit on me the motor went first LOL

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
Yea, sounds like the exact reason i started building my own. I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but bulletproof 4l60e's are a myth. Mine has got a nv4500 in it now.

bullet proof anything is a relative term, i put alot of money into a master rebuild kit from my 4L60e and it came with almost everything, minus things like the sun shell, and what do you know, the sunshell shatters mucking up everything else in the tranny, ill never spend that much on a build kit again

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
Would a bad harness connections cause p0740, p0785 and p1860?

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I can't reply to your build thread. What year trans do you have for your 98? We got a bunch of heads together the other day and all we decided is the most anyone on here knows about interchangeability of these transmissions is all the guts are the same, and if you have a PWM truck, you have to have a PWM trans. You may need the valve body and internal harness out of your old trans for your new one to work correctly.

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
I'm not sure. Maybe 99-02. It still has 4 pinion planetaries and the connection matched perfectly. It has the drain plug pan though. Not sure if they changed connection pin placement though. I'm gonna search for a diagram. While I was under the truck I wiggled the connector and the idle would change. I know the trans itself is in good shape. I gave it a look over during the part swap.

I'm pretty sure the the connection may be the culprit. I would have looked into it right then but after the day I had, I was done. I'm gonna get some contact grease and go back at it tomorrow. I'll post an update, hopefully after the celebration donuts.

Last edited:

Mississippi

I have gas...in my truck
Reaction score
Well I fixed the connection problem and wouldn't you know, i still only have reverse. Let me tell y'all something, I've got so much to say to the man that did the shotty rebuild. I'm just got glad im 900 miles away. On a less hostile note, I'm gonna fix my truck. Come hell or high water.