Another tow mirror question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deven bullis

Employed by the big blue hexagon
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a pair of gmt800 style tow mirrors for my 96 pickup, my question is since my oem mirrors are power, is there sets out there that are gmt800 style with the same wiring harness as the oem ones or do I have to get a different switch to operate the mirror.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of them should be a plug n play deal, at least for the top part of the mirror. My bottom half is manual operated. When installing the mirrors what I found out to work best for the back bolt is to shave it down some with a grinder and clean up the threads and then you should be able to get a short socket to tighten the nut. Also I took out the cheap Chinese bolts and bought some from Home Depot. Had the Chinese one break on me a couple of times.

deven bullis

Employed by the big blue hexagon
Reaction score
Most of them should be a plug n play deal, at least for the top part of the mirror. My bottom half is manual operated. When installing the mirrors what I found out to work best for the back bolt is to shave it down some with a grinder and clean up the threads and then you should be able to get a short socket to tighten the nut. Also I took out the cheap Chinese bolts and bought some from Home Depot. Had the Chinese one break on me a couple of times.
What about heated mirrors, do I need a special button installed to use the heated function? Thank you!!

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
They didnt have a,factory heated mirror option to my knowledge. If you want the heater in the mirror to work you will have to wire it up yourself

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the inside fuse box there's a pretty good size wire that goes to the rear window defrost. I tapped off that wire and so to run my mirror heaters, I just hit the rear window defrost button and it turns on mirror heaters and rear window defrost. If your truck has that option, you could do that if you don't want to add another switch. I've had mine that way with GMT800 mirrors and now have it with the new mirrors also. I went to a junk yard and bought the pigtails(8 wire instead of our 4 wire) off a heated mirror Suburban. The newest style mirrors are heated on the top and bottom mirror. My GMT800 mirrors are only heated on the top mirror.

ArmyMedic

Reaction score
On the inside fuse box there's a pretty good size wire that goes to the rear window defrost. I tapped off that wire and so to run my mirror heaters, I just hit the rear window defrost button and it turns on mirror heaters and rear window defrost. If your truck has that option, you could do that if you don't want to add another switch. I've had mine that way with GMT800 mirrors and now have it with the new mirrors also. I went to a junk yard and bought the pigtails(8 wire instead of our 4 wire) off a heated mirror Suburban. The newest style mirrors are heated on the top and bottom mirror. My GMT800 mirrors are only heated on the top mirror.

That's a darn good idea! Thanks for the tip.