Another set of LS Swap questions- seeking info and advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD94SS

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have a few questions and am looking for some information from those that have already been down the LS swap road.
I have a 1999 GMC Yukon Denali. The stock L31 is coming out and I have a 2002 LQ4 to replace it with. I have a few questions I was hoping to have answered. The weather has finally decided to break and this project will begin to move forward.
Questions/information/advice towards the listed below-

-S&P is currently out of stock of the 1" back offset swap mounts needed for the swap. Current eta is unknown for restock. Will the dirty dingo mounts applicable to this body style work without any mods and the stock flat flexplate other then torque converter mounting?

- Wiring- I have the LQ4 harness complete with fuse box with only the VSS and Trans connecetor missing and some other misc(post 02 etc). I do have access to wiring diagrams from GM SI and Mitchell. I am looking to make this swap as stock and as neat as possible. the questions are as follows. Other then providing power and grounds where needed, what is required to be wired to make all features operational? 4x4, tach,speedo, oil, temp, fuel gauge,cruise,etc.. I came across draggin95' write sticky on what needs to be wired for some wiring. I have also seen LEXTECH' name mentioned regarding valuable input on wiring information. I have searched and found that some wiring needs to be swapped at the Trans, a different CTS is needed to make the temp read at the gauge. I have read some various write ups and have seen people take different approaches with different results. I apologize if this is a redundant question. Any help or input with information is greatly appreciated.
Thank You,

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have a few questions and am looking for some information from those that have already been down the LS swap road.
I have a 1999 GMC Yukon Denali. The stock L31 is coming out and I have a 2002 LQ4 to replace it with. I have a few questions I was hoping to have answered. The weather has finally decided to break and this project will begin to move forward.
Questions/information/advice towards the listed below-

-S&P is currently out of stock of the 1" back offset swap mounts needed for the swap. Current eta is unknown for restock. Will the dirty dingo mounts applicable to this body style work without any mods and the stock flat flexplate other then torque converter mounting?

- Wiring- I have the LQ4 harness complete with fuse box with only the VSS and Trans connecetor missing and some other misc(post 02 etc). I do have access to wiring diagrams from GM SI and Mitchell. I am looking to make this swap as stock and as neat as possible. the questions are as follows. Other then providing power and grounds where needed, what is required to be wired to make all features operational? 4x4, tach,speedo, oil, temp, fuel gauge,cruise,etc.. I came across draggin95' write sticky on what needs to be wired for some wiring. I have also seen LEXTECH' name mentioned regarding valuable input on wiring information. I have searched and found that some wiring needs to be swapped at the Trans, a different CTS is needed to make the temp read at the gauge. I have read some various write ups and have seen people take different approaches with different results. I apologize if this is a redundant question. Any help or input with information is greatly appreciated.
Thank You,

I didnt change anything with the wiring for the trans on mine. I used the 98 Camaro coolant temp sender/sensor for the pcm/gauge to work correctly. You need to cut the injector plug off the vortech and wire in the LQ4 injector pigtails. All the other stuff, just depin the black box pcm and repin to the LQ4 pcm. PM Lextech for the spreadsheet on how to do that. If the LQ4 is DBW, remove your cruise from the firewall and mount the TAC module there. It will mount in the same location. Just pin the cruise control wires from the cruise module, they come from the stalk mount, to the TAC module to allow your cruise to work. You really dont need the fuse box from the donor harness. I saved it when I did mine and it is still sitting in the box.

I used Dirty Dingo mounts on mine and I had to grind about an inch and a half on the left side of the mount to move the motor back. Just FYI.

Any more info, let me know. A friend of mine has the same truck as you and he wants me to do this same swap on his Denali.

JD94SS

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Thank you for the input and advice. I've been working on this project on and off now and it is coming along. Currently I am at the point of wiring. I have decide to run the engine harness from the lq4. Right now I have a few wiring Qs. The 13 wire connector from the 4l60 has two wires that are for 3-2 cntrl solenoid and tcc pwm solenoid. What would they carry over to the ls ecu? Also regarding the main harness controls such as the various ignition wires (pink) and all the under good wiring. What has everybody done to run them? I appreciate any help or input someone has from their past experiences in making all of the feature of the suv fully functional. I am looking forward to posting some pics once complete. It's almost there.
Thanks in advance.

SierraVortec

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didnt change anything with the wiring for the trans on mine. I used the 98 Camaro coolant temp sender/sensor for the pcm/gauge to work correctly. You need to cut the injector plug off the vortech and wire in the LQ4 injector pigtails. All the other stuff, just depin the black box pcm and repin to the LQ4 pcm. PM Lextech for the spreadsheet on how to do that. If the LQ4 is DBW, remove your cruise from the firewall and mount the TAC module there. It will mount in the same location. Just pin the cruise control wires from the cruise module, they come from the stalk mount, to the TAC module to allow your cruise to work. You really dont need the fuse box from the donor harness. I saved it when I did mine and it is still sitting in the box.

I used Dirty Dingo mounts on mine and I had to grind about an inch and a half on the left side of the mount to move the motor back. Just FYI.

Any more info, let me know. A friend of mine has the same truck as you and he wants me to do this same swap on his Denali.

Exactly what he said^^ personally I would modify the original harness and take the injector wires and coil wires, few other wires needed from the lq4 harness, it is much easier.

5.3_silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do the original harness and integrate it into the truck itself. It looks so much cleaner with it that way. Less hassle and way less work. Im going to be taking the dash out of mine come fall to put my pcm behind it.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
JD94SS sorry to jump into your thread , do you know if you can use the L31 accessory's IE power steering pump alternator , ac with brackets or the new LSX motors accessory's and bracketry? Ive always been confused with that.
Like I know you need to buy the Alternator swap bracket to use ac nless you want to notch out the frame but I wasnt sure whose accessorys would be used.

5.3_silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The accessories aren't a problem at all. I use the 5.3 on my truck. I will be notching my frame by the end of the week for my a/c.

JD94SS

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and help. I used the stock gen 3 acc drive and ditched the a/c for now as this is going to be my winter ride. The swap is coming along pretty decent. Currently waiting to hear from Brendan at lt1 swap for some cal changes as I can't get my hands on a hp tuner set up this week. Right now I'm working on what pins the purple, and purple and white wire run for the fuel level supply and gauge return. I'll post some pics.
If anybody needs any wiring info or connector pin out I can upload some info.

Last edited:

5.3_silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ill be getting a Yukon Denali dash on sunday for mine. The Pcm will be hidden behind the passenger air bag compartment. Right now mines a mess.