Another noob LS swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

982DR

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum here. This is my first post so please bear with me. Alright so I picked up a complete 5.3/4L60e combo out of a '04 Trailblazer. It's DBW and included the TAC module and pedal, all accessories, wiring harness, fuse block, and exhaust. I will be swapping this into a 98 Tahoe. I just finished re-pinning the Tahoe harness for the 0411 computer. What I'm wondering is when I swap the 5.3 in will I be able to just hook up the '04 computer to the existing wiring? Or will I have to swap some pins? I plan on using the original Tahoe harness and just adding in wires where they're needed for sensors. Any help is appreciated guys. I plan on documenting this swap and sharing info on what I had to do to make the swap work. Also I swapped some seats from an '03 truck into my Tahoe and I plan on sharing info on that.

Reaction score
When I did mine, I used the harness that came with the motor. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it the way your thinking as long as the PIN's on the ECM connector are correct and you have all the necessary sensors.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
you would also have to wire up every coil pack, injector, and move alot of sockets. i think the general consensus would be to use the harness from the donor, but ive never done the swap.

982DR

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I ran into somewhat of a snag. So I pulled this setup out of an 04 Trailblazer and there are a few differences with this motor than the truck motor. Now I jumped on this combo because it was a good deal, but i wouldn't have bought it if I knew what I know now. The dipstick on these engines is incorporated into the oil pan, it doesn't have the machined hole in the block for the dipstick, so the truck pan I need is out of the question. Secondly, it's got the DOD setup and I was reading how to delete it and that's going to take around $350 dollars for the lifter kit to do the delete. Just going to sell this setup and look for a 5.3 out of a truck.

982DR

Reaction score
Alright so I said screw it I'm going to go with what I have. I ended up drilling the hole for the dipstick tube and scored a truck pan with tray and screen for free from a junkyard. I'll get rid of the DOD by deleting it out of the computer. Also had to remove some broken exhaust bolts from the heads.

You must be registered for see images attach