Another Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevinx

Reaction score
Just put a FM 40 on my extended 98. Around town its a bit noisy, but at 65 it settlers into the background. I'd have bought a Borla if I had the patience, but it's hard to beat the sound of the Flow

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
Was the drone bad on the 40 series? I've almost entirely ruled out the 40 series because I heard so many drone complaints with it

I don't remember the drone being that bad with the 40 series but it was a long time ago. 10s definitely have more drone. Both set ups I had true duels, two cats and mufflers.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

I don't know exact case length of my buddy's magnaflows, but they're really similar in length to my FM 40's.

Also, as far as exhausts on V8s go, for sound, I don't think ANYTHING compares to true dual mufflers.

Same guy with the magnaflows says my truck is about an 8/10 on the loudness scale at full throttle. I'd say pretty much the same for his.

If I were you, I'd be putting either Spintechs on it, or maybe even Borla's. Those are the two I'm looking at to replace the FM's with, as I'm not a huge fan of the their sound.

As for ruling out the 40 series because of drone... My buddy's Magnaflows drone more than my 40's do and they're mounted in almost the exact same place.

As far as I've been told by the local exhaust shop, removing the cats on these trucks is what gives them the gross poppy glasspack sound (gross to me, its subjective, I know).

Interesting, I've been doing a LOT of reading regarding magnaflow's mufflers, and even on their smallest case size none of the reviews reported much drone at all. I was actually surprised to see that your buddy's truck has more drone than a flowmaster - reading that was a first for me. I'm very curious as to what could cause that, as it seems like your buddy's truck was an out of the ordinary example... I think you're right about removing the cats being the cause for a lot of that popping noise (I'm not a fan of it either). I did consider doing true duals for sound, but couldn't justify it financially, so I'm just looking for a different muffler to put after my Y-pipe

Do you know how the spintechs or borla's sound in terms of loudness? I know the tone of Borla's are excellent (in my opinion) but my whole goal in searching for a new muffler is to go louder, and maybe a little deeper sounding, but not to entirely overhaul the sound of the truck if that makes sense. Also, do you like the tone of the magnaflows? It seems like we both have pretty similar taste in terms of tone

Thanks for getting back to me though, I'm still pretty confused as to why the magnaflows drone more...

Hi Guys, I'm a just catching up on this thread.I may have missed it,but didn't see it in any of replies?Need a little more info on your truck before making an opinion. Is it a reg cab or extended cab?Short or Long bed?I think I did see that truck will be using a cat convertor? It's been my experience that the FM short case muffler on xtra cab will almost always have bad drone.Have replaced w/long case and it improves quite a bit. On my current truck(88 reg cab,short bed) I have changed muffler 3 times with not much change in overall sound level. I have Y pipe into single hi-flow cat(Perfection brand?)thru 3in pipe to single muffler 3" in and 2 21/2"out & 2 tail pipes(2 1/4)out right side(like oe) First had a 40series,then a Gorelich,& now 50series. All were short case.Really no change.I have no drone with any of them. I think it's the cat flows so well,the mufflers can't quieten down any more without going to something that's going to choke it down? May consider a convertor change if you want it louder? Here in my state,Y pipe into single convertor is mandatory. I have considered using two mufflers side by side like pictured in one of the replies. It's not obnoxious loud at all,but would like little mellower tone... Also I read some of guys saying installing mufflers on side or vertically helps with drone,I'm not sure on that?My concern is placing box style muffler on there side would hold the condensation bad,& shortening their life dramatically? Anyway good thread.I have enjoyed reading and watching videos.KD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My truck's an extended cab, short bed with a vortec 350 for clarity. My truck also has both stock catalytic converters, I debated replacing with hi-flow ones but decided not to due to the price. I know the hi-flow cats would make the truck louder, but my muffler is ultimately such a long case and designed to be one of flowmaster's quietest mufflers, so it really won't be making enough of a difference - at least not enough for the kind of difference I'm looking for.

I don't remember the drone being that bad with the 40 series but it was a long time ago. 10s definitely have more drone. Both set ups I had true duels, two cats and mufflers.

I've heard quite a few complaints about the 40 series droning badly is why I ask, if I could get the flowmaster 40 series guaranteed with minimal drone, I'd probably do it in a heartbeat but it seems too much of an uncertainty

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
The Flowmaster 40? That's what I was thinking.

Quick exhaust question, I don't think it's worth making a new thread for it so I'll ask right here.

My current setup goes into a Y-pipe right after the cats into a single in, dual out muffler. If I were to get rid of the y pipe and run tubing from both catalytic converters into a dual in/dual out muffler, would the sound change at all (for better or worse?), or would this simply not be worth doing?

Reason I ask is it may allow me to run a certain muffler I was considering, and I don't want to spend the money on true duals.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I like running a single exhaust if I can because it saves weight and will provide better low end power. The dual in/out muffler will be perfect for that set up and will probably sound better than two mufflers.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I like running a single exhaust if I can because it saves weight and will provide better low end power. The dual in/out muffler will be perfect for that set up and will probably sound better than two mufflers.

Any thoughts on if it would sound better than a Y pipe into a single in dual out muffler? My thoughts are it's the same amount of exhaust entering in, just possibly less efficiently. It would cost me more than keeping the y pipe but is still cheaper than two mufflers :deal:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Any thoughts on if it would sound better than a Y pipe into a single in dual out muffler? My thoughts are it's the same amount of exhaust entering in, just possibly less efficiently. It would cost me more than keeping the y pipe but is still cheaper than two mufflers :deal:

As long as you have a cross over in the exhaust you should be fine. Mine is a y pipe with a single cat 3" piping to a dynomax race bullet then more 3" piping out the back. pretty much the cheapest set up.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
As long as you have a cross over in the exhaust you should be fine. Mine is a y pipe with a single cat 3" piping to a dynomax race bullet then more 3" piping out the back. pretty much the cheapest set up.

Magnaflow had a built in crossover inside the muffler for the 14" DI/DO muffler, and I had assumed that the 11" muffler would also have that crossover, but for some reason it didn't. That may have ruined my idea, since if I want a 14" muffler I could just get a SI/DO and save money. (Magnaflow doesn't offer a SI/DO 11")

The reason I was looking for the 11" muffler is cause I had no clue if the 14" is loud enough.

I've heard some people complain the 14" is too loud, and others complain it's not loud. It's so hard to tell online, and unfortunately I don't personally know anyone that runs magnaflows.