Another early 400 saved!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I would say your right, At the time I'm sure they figured if you wanted keyless entry, they assumed you wanted every other option. But like you said, it makes no sense that most of the keyless entry trucks were 3/4's and tonners. Its goofy how they did it back then, its almost like todays trucks, where you have only the Silverado package, but you had LS,LT or LTZ for top trim. Its like my '88 Silverado is pretty much a base model, it came factory with just a base radio with no cassette, crank windows and manual locks, and my '92 Scottsdale is damn near optioned the same except it has manual climate controls, vinyl floor mat and two tone deluxe paint. Other than that, there almost identical.
That is interesting why they would both just about be identical with options. I don't know what GM was thinking back then lol. I think they have gotten better with placing their items in the right categories, but maybe I haven't built some of the packages yet on their website, I do build trucks on their website occasionally when I have some free time, just to see how it would be if I were super rich. ;) :D

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's actually really bizarre the way Chevy does the new truck builds on their website. I've been toying with getting a new Regular cab short bed Z71 4X4 and it boggles my mind how selecting one option changes a bunch of stuff!

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Yeah I can agree with you there, it can be a little overwhelming.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

GMT400FAN

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's actually really bizarre the way Chevy does the new truck builds on their website. I've been toying with getting a new Regular cab short bed Z71 4X4 and it boggles my mind how selecting one option changes a bunch of stuff!

I've done that before actually. Back when the 900's were still in production I built a truck just for something to do. I think it was '09 or '10. I Built a GMC 3500 Crew cab long bed single wheel, onyx black ext. and black cloth int. Bench seat, basic radio and manual climate controls, I think I even did crank windows and manual locks. I opted for the 17'' six spoke aluminum wheels, And they changed the package to SLT!!!! Just for the wheel upgrade!! I would have been better off buying a basic work truck and buying a set of take offs for it! It just feels like they choose your package for you, The days of building your truck the way you want it are gone.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Everyone's oogling over the keyless entry, but it has a power rear sliding window???? :D FYI if the fob was dealer installed, it probably looks like my 93 under the dash, a huge mess of wires!