Another axle/differential noise question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Weeeeellllll,I has me a problem.

Couple days ago I turned down the heater, because it was no longer 7* outside. I then turned off the radio because I was sick of political talk radio for the week. Then I heard it. I slight scuffing noise. I thought it sounded like a brake pad getting to thin and beginning to scuff the rotor.

Yesterday I was driving with the door open. I know. I smart. I finally realized the sound was coming from under the truck, middle area. Rut row. Noise is at all speeds, most noticeable at lower speeds due to wind and engine noise. It is rpm dependant.

This morning I jacked the rear wheels off the ground to see if I could get the sound to come out of hiding. Turned driver's wheel, which turned the pass wheel opposite direction, same speed. Good. I know I have an open diff. Slight noise, hard to pinpoint. Could just be gears moving without lube yet. Then turned the driver's wheel opposite direction, and the pass wheel would barely move. Same issue when I switched sides.

I grabbed the driveshaft near the u joint at the rear and couldn't really get any movement.

Question: should opposite side wheels be moving at same speed no matter which direction I move a wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Your safest bet is going to be to pull the cover off of it and do a visual inspection, and see if there is any chips of metal floating around in it or stuck to the magnet on the pan.

Also note that even the G80 locker will behave the same way that you're seeing, one wheel spinning clockwise and the other one going counter-clockwise. look to see if you have the G80 RPO code on the glove box.

Usually noises that are not happening at a single speed, but rather happen all the time, mean you have some bearing problems. if you only have noise while you're coasting, or only while driving with foot on the throttle, tend to be problems with the pinion bearings. And your case, if it's doing it pretty much all the time, it's probably the carrier bearings.

It's possible to swap out the carrier bearings without having to redo the entire rear end, but you need to know how to use a dial indicator and make sure your backlash is within spec.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Axle noise should not be rpm dependent. Unless your referring to the noise of the rpm drowning out the issue.
When my rear axle started making noise, to pinpoint the noise I put the truck on jack stands and ran it in gear. Used a huge prying type screwdriver to prod around on the axle with it against my ear and was able to very plainly identify that the pinion bearing was making a racket. Rebuild, and move on. Or buy a different axle if ya wanna go that way.

Reaction score
Axle noise should not be rpm dependent. Unless your referring to the noise of the rpm drowning out the issue.
When my rear axle started making noise, to pinpoint the noise I put the truck on jack stands and ran it in gear. Used a huge prying type screwdriver to prod around on the axle with it against my ear and was able to very plainly identify that the pinion bearing was making a racket. Rebuild, and move on. Or buy a different axle if ya wanna go that way.

I should have specified it was Rpm dependant while driving.

Reaction score
It seems like it's either transmission, transfer case, and rear diff.

I did notice a vibration around 45 mph. But not every time, just once in awhile. But always around that speed.

I have not had a chance to check transfer case or diff fluid. Transmission looks fine, smells fine.

Reaction score
I see what you're saying. I only checked while driving, and always in gear. When I manually downshifted, rpms went up, and well as the noise increased. It is not specific to engine rpm while parked.

Transmission or transfer case?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
U-joints are more likely the cause IMO, rear ends rarely go out like that unless they are severely neglected and leak all their fluid.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I see what you're saying. I only checked while driving, and always in gear. When I manually downshifted, rpms went up, and well as the noise increased. It is not specific to engine rpm while parked.

Transmission or transfer case?

If it was mine I would get it up on jack stands and put it in gear and run it to pinpoint the noise. Impossible to diagnose over the internet or phone. A million people will tell you what's wrong without actually having any idea. I'm definitely not going to advise you to throw parts at it or tear the entire truck apart. Just going to take some trouble shooting.