Another 89 Regular Cab Long Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I've never owned a RC period. Everything I've ever had were all extended cabs! Someday a sports truck RC SB or LB will be in my collection.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm kinda old fashioned. I prefer Regular cabs to extended cabs. I've owned several GMT800 ECSB's and they were nice but just something about them that's not the same...my 2014 CCSB DMax works great for the 5th wheel and haulin our three dogs as they have plenty of room, but truth be known, if I could sell it and the 5th wheel it wouldn't hurt my feelings! :)

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up some miscellaneous pieces parts over the weekend to include a decent rear bumper, front fender flares, comp/temp mirror, I/C bezel that's near perfect and a few other odds n ends. Need to find some rear flares now. Pulled the rear bumper and hitch and cleaned up the wiring for the rear tail lights. Found the bumper on CL but the guy didn't have the factory bumper mounting brackets so need to procure a set, the old bumper brackets are not the same as factory.
You must be registered for see images attach

Shoulder is finally starting to feel better so hopefully the tranny will get swapped soon. Still need to find a good drivers side door as well.

Little by little...

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long over due update...

I don't get to spend a whole lot of time with my "toys". Life gets in the way, bad shoulder, knee, back, arthritis, house remodel, work, raising two grandkids, vacation in the Caribbean :) etc.

But here's where I'm at. Transmission took a back seat to all of the above so I still have that to tackle, however, I do use it around our property for odd n ends.

Got the windshield sealed up, the flowable silicon worked excellent for stopping Niagara Falls from soaking the carpeting.

Got the drivers door replaced, gonna have to pull it again some time to paint it.

This is what the original looks like, pretty rough. Put it on the parts truck to keep the weather out.

Mounted the bumper I picked up months ago only to find out it's for a step side but went ahead and put it on just to get it out of the way (a big "way to go dumbass!") on my part but oh well. I recently found another bumper (correct one) so that will go on soon and I'll sell this one, it's pretty clean.

Found and fixed a bunch of issues with wiring under the dash. Pulled the dash to address them. Some of the fuse box connectors were trashed so I cut a fuse box out of a truck at the boneyard, made some tools to extract the wiring/connectors and soldered them in.

Last edited:

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad bus connector on the left, good connector on the right for comparison. This bus connector powers the gauges, Turn B/U lights and the ECM-IGN. The truck would start sometimes, sometimes not, run and shut off. Took a while to find the problem!

The HVAC controls did not work, found two issues. The main power for the HVAC controls comes from the power distribution bus on the firewall, via fusible link, it wasn't burnt but the wire was broken inside the insulation, so I soldered in a new lead.

I was checking out the A/C one evening after I fixed the fusible link and found an issue with this connector (laying on top of the HVAC controller). The ground lead in the center of the three wires got really hot and started to melt the plastic around the connectors. I was able to catch it before it caused a real problem. I cut the connector out of my parts truck, that you see spliced in, just to keep on checking out the A/C. Still need to solder in the correct connector. I believe resistance on the ground lead is what leads to this: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/1988-chevrolet-up-in-smoke.38097/

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I was able to pull the bench seat out of the truck and put my buckets and console in. The console is just sitting there for now. Seats and console came from a 92 extended cab, still need to modify the console so it sits correctly.

Also replaced the alternator today but had to use parts from two to make one good one.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still have tons to do to this truck. I have a nice, complete stock stereo (yah, I know!) that needs to go in after the dash is reinstalled. Clean up the door panels, recover the headliner and get the rest of the damn silicon removed from the carpeting. Clean the seats, install the COMP/TEMP mirror then install the headliner. I noticed today the left rear wheel cylinder is leaking. High pressure line at the A/C compressor leaks...god only knows what else needs attention!

Little by little...

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
Good progress!! Funny how I said on this thread months ago that I would eventually own a regular cab, and I do now!

Buckets look sweet in the truck too. Red interior is my favorite in the 88-94 trucks.