Another 89 Regular Cab Long Bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked this up over the weekend for cheap.

You must be registered for see images attach

It needs a tranny cause 3rd gear is shot but the guy threw one in with the deal. Pretty straight and fairly unmolested save for the wiring under the dash due to a botched stereo install (it's gonna be a pain trying to figure out what all they did). Has 160K on the clock but it runs really well 'cept for the tranny problem and the 4 wheel drive works. Smells like ass on the inside and it's filthy as a pig but it should clean up nice. Only rust that I can find is over the left rear wheel well. Rear bumper is bent, has a cheap POS Bull Bar that's rusting out, the hinge pins on both doors are shot (go figure) and the paint is not all the great either. Might keep it and use it as a plow truck but we've barely had any snow worth plowing this year or possibly fix it and flip it. Should be fun whipping it back into shape! More pics to come...

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time for an update. Have not been able to tackle the transmission yet as I jacked up my shoulder the day after I got brought this home helping my buddy with his '70 SS Chevelle. Then a week later my back decided to give me grief, so pretty much just all light duty stuff that I've done to the truck at this point. Getting old sometimes sucks!

Removing the POS bull bar was the first thing on my list of stuff to do to the truck

Then removed some wiring that someone ran into the cab for I don't know what! Maybe the aftermarket stereo? (Yes, that connector is not secured!)
This made me laugh...

The heater controls have no power and started troubleshooting that and found this

High speed blower relay is missing and the low speed relay has been butchered. I'm just going find a new dash harness at this point rather than mess with this.

Power door locks and windows did not work and found this inside the drivers side door. Years of the door being opened and closed took it's toll on the ground splice. Also had to fix two other wires that had about a 1/4' of insulation missing, was able to just use some shrink wrap to take care of those. Door locks and windows working as they should now. Wiring diagrams are the bomb! I have an AllData account that came in very handy for finding the ground splice location inside the door, I had no idea there was a splice there.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cleaned the interior with some help from the grandson...

I've acquired a new level of hate for silicon! That **** is a pain in the ass to get off of most things let alone carpeting...

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife don't know it (yet) but her Elm tree was perfect...

for straightening the rear bumper some, at least it's not hanging out in the wind now...that POS is going away soon too.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have done some other small stuff as well, like replacing the windshield washer pump and other this and thats....

Washed the truck today only to find that the windshield leaks most of the way across the top...bought some Permatex flowable silicon sealant for windshields, I hope it does the trick.

Going to see a guy tomorrow that I found on CL that's about an hour away from me. He has a black drivers side door that I want to look at and hopefully buy as the door on this truck has issues. The sheet metal around the upper hinge on the door is weak and flexes and the door won't close correctly even after replacing the hinge pins and bushings. He also has a dash harness and some other interior pieces plus I'm hoping he has a clean rear bumper.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Glad to see your grandson helping! Maybe someday he will own a truck just like that. :)

Good find, very clean, not too common here in Iowa. If somethings cheap, it is RUS-TY! Good luck with the cleaning and fixing! :D

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Looks like a nice buy. The maroon interiors on those always seem to clean up good.

The wheels bring back memories. I remember they were all the rage when I was growing up. Everyone had them lol

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I would have been all over helping my grandparents if they had an old truck but neither of mine did so I learned on my own when I turned 16.

But I look forward to seeing your progress, it should turn out nicely!

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It's going slow, only get to work on it when I have time. My shoulder is still messing with me so the tranny still hasn't been swapped out. Still haven't come up with a good door and bumper and have been trying to work through the mess that the PO made of the under dash harness. It'll get there...