Am I crazy for attempting this??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andyvr4

Reaction score
Well I had the wrong plug for the trailer so I towed it with just my truck brakes and it did fine. So with trailer brakes I should be more than good but will look into a better braking system

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
4.56 gears and 35's basically puts you the same as 3.73's and a 31" tire, which is "stock" for most towing packages on a half ton.......you decide from there.........are the tires load range C or E? that's more important in my experience, and it's considerable in the towing business.

what's the tongue weight going to be? 800 pounds is 10% and that's the minimum you should go...or the tail will wag the dog.......

I sure hope you don't have lift blocks out back, that won't be good in my opinion. just because you can PULL it doesn't mean you should.

think about the other people you may hurt or kill should things go awry

just my $.03 from my porch,
Bill

column_shift

Reaction score
I have a 1990 K 2500 6lug light duty with a 350 TBI and 700r4 and a 3.42 rear. I just purchased a 29' bumper pull camper and it is dry weight at 7100 pounds and I think I'm going to fill it till about 8000 pounds tandem axle with 4 wheel electric brakes. what will I need to do to be able to pull this?

A different truck. :D

How often and where? Moving once is different than hauling the rockies every weekend.

I didn't read this whole thread but commented on the other guy in the forum wanting to pull a few things I thought useful. I think your transmission will be highly stressed built or not. Hot rod toughness is not the same as towing toughness. It will probably do it, the question is how long. I would hope it wouldn't die in less than 10k, but I don't think I would expect to ever see 100k if it has any kind of regular moving of those aerodynamic and weight loads, the power will make it even worse making you think the truck can handle it when the parts are being pushed too hard, though that would entirely depend on how fast and where you drive and how often. Ask the hot rod trans builder if they will warranty the transmission for heavy towing - you'll find out they wont i'm 90% sure.

The axle ratio could use a serious lowering for those tires I would think even if power lets you get the thing moving. It also notably worsens the transmission stress to have tires that tall with a ratio like that.

InsanePyro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as no lockup on the 700r4..... to me that's crazy... everyday driving you will want it... just get it with the lockup and use a bypass kit(write ups are every where) when you tow you can just flip a switch and bang no lockup...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Doesn't just putting it in D instead of OD prevent lockup?