Am I crazy for attempting this??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andyvr4

Reaction score
I have a 1990 K 2500 6lug light duty with a 350 TBI and 700r4 and a 3.42 rear. I just purchased a 29' bumper pull camper and it is dry weight at 7100 pounds and I think I'm going to fill it till about 8000 pounds tandem axle with 4 wheel electric brakes. what will I need to do to be able to pull this? I have a brand-new summit racing crate motor going in and a revenger 700r4 from animal performance transmissions going in. Also installing an external trans cooler with a gauge to monitor temperatures also the transmission is not going to have a lock up converter as I am told it will run a lot cooler about 20°. Will my truck be able to handle this or am I crazy for trying to attempt this. Also the truck is an extended long bed truck with a 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires and only mods are open filter element and full exhaust no muffler or catalytic converter just magnaflow race muffler, also using a 10k weight distribution hitch with 1000 lb bars

Last edited:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as no lockup on the 700r4..... to me that's crazy... everyday driving you will want it... just get it with the lockup and use a bypass kit(write ups are every where) when you tow you can just flip a switch and bang no lockup...

sent from what use to be a great country...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As mentioned 35's and 3.42 gear.....that would be a negative ghost rider.....lol...can it be done sure...but it will be very very under powered as the rpm range will be way to low and will hurt you in the long run.. and that's before you start and try to tow any weight... all ready you are in the wrong rpm range with the 3.42 with 35 inch tires... let along trying to yank a 8k trailer with it.. regards to atleast 4.10 at the minimum. I would opt to 4.56 if you are towing a bunch but 4.10 as a bare minimum with 35's even before towing anything...

sent from what use to be a great country...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. Your crazy. A light duty 2500 isn't muc more than heavier springs and a larger rear brake.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I can't tell you from personal experience that even with 3.73s that combo is going to suck haha.

Andyvr4

Reaction score
Do if I get 4.10s - 4.56s I should be good? What brand? It's just to toe it where I'll live in it then sell it later