Alternator ( Power steering brkt.) 14102081

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Ed_P, Apr 15, 2018 at 5:33 PM.

1. Ed_P

Ed_P OBS Enthusiast

Looked up the alternator bracket that I broke ( pot metal) on Gmpartsdirect ,
    got the part # 14102081 , then went shopping for one and im seeing this odd looking bracket that is listed under the same part number. Anyone ever use one of these ?

upload_2018-4-15_17-30-29.png

as opposed to : below, which is what most of us should have from stock

upload_2018-4-15_17-32-15.png

2. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

The one piece is stamped steel, vs. cast aluminum of the two piece setup. The one piece was discontinued after the first few years of TBI engines. It's notorious for cracking near the power steering pump, sometimes in several spaces near there. I would not use it, and honestly the chances of finding an unbroken one are slim unless there's new old stock sitting out there...not sure if I would take one even if it was free. Edit - I do see they're available new for about $80ish, I'd spend less on used cast aluminum pieces at the boneyard. Screw that steel one.

The aluminum parts last forever if you don't abuse 'em. Cast aluminum is not very forgiving when you start reefing on fasteners, sure, but under most circumstances we manage to not break the things. Probably most common would be trying to remove the R4 A/C compressor, some don't realize you do NOT turn the bolt heads at the front, there are small tabs meant to retain them. Hold them still with a wrench if you must but do not turn them. You remove the nuts from the back.

Richard

skylark and Eskimomann209 like this.
  3. evilunclegrimace

evilunclegrimace I'm Awesome

I've had the same steel mount on my 88 for 30 years and it has not cracked.The aluminum brackets are some times easier to work with when doing engine repairs,but I have never had any issues with the steel unit.

4. Ed_P

Ed_P OBS Enthusiast

interesting... never knew that info. I've always seen the ( aluminum) ones. I personally think it's "pot or white metal" but that's an argument for another day. I would think the steel ( top) version would be better as it is less bulky from what I see.

First thing to do is put a magnet on that guy and see if it's aluminum....now im curious.. and learning all the time !!!

FYI - I cracked mine on the alternator bracket area loosening the nut. In theory I could almost use it... but WON"T .. why go this deep into a project and jimmy rig it..

Thank you gentlemen..

5. someotherguy

someotherguy I'm Awesome

Lucky man. Not all of them break, but a whole hell of a lot of them do.

Richard