Alternator ( Power steering brkt.) 14102081

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looked up the alternator bracket that I broke ( pot metal) on Gmpartsdirect ,
got the part # 14102081 , then went shopping for one and im seeing this odd looking bracket that is listed under the same part number. Anyone ever use one of these ?

You must be registered for see images attach

as opposed to : below, which is what most of us should have from stock

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one piece is stamped steel, vs. cast aluminum of the two piece setup. The one piece was discontinued after the first few years of TBI engines. It's notorious for cracking near the power steering pump, sometimes in several spaces near there. I would not use it, and honestly the chances of finding an unbroken one are slim unless there's new old stock sitting out there...not sure if I would take one even if it was free. Edit - I do see they're available new for about $80ish, I'd spend less on used cast aluminum pieces at the boneyard. Screw that steel one.

The aluminum parts last forever if you don't abuse 'em. Cast aluminum is not very forgiving when you start reefing on fasteners, sure, but under most circumstances we manage to not break the things. Probably most common would be trying to remove the R4 A/C compressor, some don't realize you do NOT turn the bolt heads at the front, there are small tabs meant to retain them. Hold them still with a wrench if you must but do not turn them. You remove the nuts from the back.

Richard

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I've had the same steel mount on my 88 for 30 years and it has not cracked.The aluminum brackets are some times easier to work with when doing engine repairs,but I have never had any issues with the steel unit.

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
interesting... never knew that info. I've always seen the ( aluminum) ones. I personally think it's "pot or white metal" but that's an argument for another day. I would think the steel ( top) version would be better as it is less bulky from what I see.

First thing to do is put a magnet on that guy and see if it's aluminum....now im curious.. and learning all the time !!!

FYI - I cracked mine on the alternator bracket area loosening the nut. In theory I could almost use it... but WON"T .. why go this deep into a project and jimmy rig it..

Thank you gentlemen..

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had the same steel mount on my 88 for 30 years and it has not cracked.The aluminum brackets are some times easier to work with when doing engine repairs,but I have never had any issues with the steel unit.
Lucky man. Not all of them break, but a whole hell of a lot of them do.

Richard

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the plot thickens on this deal... The steel bracket that I prefer does not appear to have a mount to mount A/c and I can';t find a steel a/c belt tensioner bracket. I'm thinking I have to go back to pot metal on the alternator side. We've had 3 sets of eyes on this plus a GM parts counter dude. no luck. I'd love to see a pic of a 5.7 with A/C no AP using "steel" brackets. the pot metal as actually discontinued in 1990 per some site I was on?

10129516 - I firmly believe this "cannot" be used with the steel on the alternator side , I'd love to be proven wrong, because that would mean I can get this thing together today..lol

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My personal opinion so take it however you like, but you're making this way harder than it needs to be. It seems you want to look down on the bracket you broke, because it broke, and you keep referring to it as "pot metal" - it's cast aluminum; pot metal is a catch-all term used for a much lower grade of non-ferrous metal that in automotive uses is generally for non-critical components like hood birds and door handles on much older vehicles.

That steel bracket you're hunting for is inferior, but you don't have to believe me. Most people don't have problems with the aluminum bracket breaking, but many have had the steel one crack.

A 1990 discontinued date may be for the aluminum brackets that are for the smog pump application. Some early TBI trucks had them and then the smog pump was deemed unnecessary to pass emissions standards. The 2-piece aluminum bracket setup used on most TBI's from around 1990 to 1995 will fit your engine, if you don't have the smog pump. You can also get them from a 4.3 V6.

Richard

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At first glance it looked liked what I used to call "pot metal" I'm an old schooler, it's how I was taught.

1. my options are: see if anyone knows what other bracket I need for this steel one to work

2. Order a aluminum one as much as I don't like it. I personally think it's ugly, but maybe a coat of paint will make it nicer, and it also requires support rods which will need to be modified to fit the Vortec head design due to the manifold bolts being at a different angle? I thought if I could buy a teel one I would save my guy fabrication work, he does enough BS for me, trying to make life easier and get a better look...

YTBD..........

Last edited:

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My final conclusion is

It is impossible ( using new parts, w/ac) to convert an aluminum 2 piece to a one piece steel bracket . If you don't have ac and no air pump it's maybe doable,? but you still need to figure out the tensioners and or buy the correct one that works for it. Long story short, converting from aluminum to steel is not a very good option. If I didn't break the damn thing I wouldn't have learned this lesson.

Aluminum unit ordered... I don't like junkyards, they never have what I need anyway. By the time I spend half a day driving there, to three different places to find out they dont have it, 25.00 in gas, it's almost as easy to order new.

Now i need to fabricate support rods to adapt to Vortec heads.. time time time...

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Plot just got REAL thick... I ordered an aluminum one ( or so I thought) based on the picture he had posted and he sent me a steel one. Now I called my GM guy locally and he said a dealership in nebraska has the additional bracket for the sttel one which is discontinued. 10054896 is the bracket that holds the A/C made of steel. or I can go get the casting number and my GM guy will try to track one down via his systems ( aluminum). or I could just spend 2G's on a billet system and call it a day. Which may end up being cheaper.