Alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, you may have some front end parts in need of replacement. If the shop you took it to for an alignment is a good one I'd assume they would have told you about that, but even good mechanics miss things sometimes. Might be why you're seeing what you're seeing but it looked good on the alignment rack.
Well the place that did the alignment, I took it back when I noticed this the first time and they "said they put it on the rack and checked" and it might be in spec but it still looks stupid. Plus being the 2nd time they checked it out, I think they would have told me about tie rods then.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is not in spec. within spec, what they smoking. There alignment machine may be out of calibration, but not that far out. Also spec is a range. from blank, to blank. What you need to ask for is a print out of the specs from there alignment machine.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
That is not in spec. within spec, what they smoking. There alignment machine may be out of calibration, but not that far out. Also spec is a range. from blank, to blank. What you need to ask for is a print out of the specs from there alignment machine.
Gonna try a new mechanics shop I been hearing good things about. I think I'll have them check alignment then let me know what's up. Not gonna be surprised if there are some worn front end components. 165,000 miles will do that.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The tires should be straight with each other, or turned in just a hair, but not enough to see with out measurements.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like I said, ask for a print out of the specs before and after the alignment. Any decent shop should be able to do this. I always ask for this.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Like I said, ask for a print out of the specs before and after the alignment. Any decent shop should be able to do this. I always ask for this.
Will do. I'll post it here when I get the alignment specs. Trying to find time Friday.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have owned a GMT 400 sense 1999. All 2WDs. What I have learned about these trucks, and alignments on them, is this. I always ask for my camber to be set to zero. What you see on your truck, with you tires is toe out. If the tires were inward it would be toe in. So camber is how much lean from top to bottom of the tire, the truck has. zero camber is when the tires are set with no tilt. So the top of the tire is even with the bottom of the tire. The camber specs for these trucks is 0 to 1.0 and 0.5 is what the factory recommends. I find this eats the out side edge of the tires. This is my preference. I always have the tech set the toe and caster to factory recommends, but like I said, there is a range for all of the adjustments, and this range should be close from side to side. It should not very from the passengers side VS the drivers side. A little is ok, but a big difference is not good.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind there is usually a difference in a shop that specializes in alignments and a discount tire shop free align with tire purchase. I don't let chain tire stores do any alignment work on my vehicles. The guy I go to does nothing but alignments and front end brake work. He has no employees and does it all himself.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Keep in mind there is usually a difference in a shop that specializes in alignments and a discount tire shop free align with tire purchase. I don't let chain tire stores do any alignment work on my vehicles. The guy I go to does nothing but alignments and front end brake work. He has no employees and does it all himself.
The place I went was a Chevy stealership back when our trucks were new. A lot of their mechanics worked on these trucks when new