Air Bags for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Auto leveling would be nice but since I only tow the heavy trailers on occasion I think I'll probably just stick with manual air or maybe an on board compressor with a toggle switch I always carry a small 12v emergency air compressor with me so even with the manual air I don't see myself needing to air them up and not being able to. It would just be slow is all.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if 9 out of 10 times you tow its from home, or atleast you know in advance.... manual air is fine. If 7or 8 times out 10, onboard air. If you frequently make stops to tow random stuff, then the auto leveling would be nice but not needed.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if 9 out of 10 times you tow its from home, or atleast you know in advance.... manual air is fine. If 7or 8 times out 10, onboard air. If you frequently make stops to tow random stuff, then the auto leveling would be nice but not needed.

I think I fall in the 9 out of 10 category :) I still think onboard would be nice but since I don't tow everyday as a means of making a living or anything like that I think I'll put that further down on the to-do list. I've got other stuff including other truck mods that I would also like to spend my discretionary income on.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I fall in the 9 out of 10 category :) I still think onboard would be nice but since I don't tow everyday as a means of making a living or anything like that I think I'll put that further down on the to-do list. I've got other stuff including other truck mods that I would also like to spend my discretionary income on.
I think I found someone who would sell me a firestone compressor and gauge for fairly cheap (he said about $150 but I think I could talk him down some) If I could get the bags for ~$50 I think ~$200 is a good deal for the whole set up right?
Where is the best spot to mount the compressor? I'd love to do an install like 88GMCtruck did on his 6.5l tow pig but I don't have a tool box. I'd also rather not put the gauge in the cab if there is someplace that I could mount it outside of the cab that would be protected enough. I was thinking maybe I could mount both of them somewhere under the hood?

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's probablly not the best place to mount the compressor, but mine is up along the frame rail by the fuel filter. It has been there for several years.
Under the hood would be better IMO since it will stay clean and dry.

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took the compressor, level sensor, & air shocks from a Cadilliac Brougham & installed it on a El Camino I had. It worked great. Put a load in the bed & it would automaticlly bring it back up to the set ride height.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's probablly not the best place to mount the compressor, but mine is up along the frame rail by the fuel filter. It has been there for several years.
Under the hood would be better IMO since it will stay clean and dry.
I'm just trying to figure out where in the engine compartment it would be ok. I don't want it to get too hot and most of the areas that are open yet "out of the way" tend to be by the exhaust manifolds.
I took the compressor, level sensor, & air shocks from a Cadilliac Brougham & installed it on a El Camino I had. It worked great. Put a load in the bed & it would automaticlly bring it back up to the set ride height.

I would love to have auto leveling but I ruled it out because the after market kits are too expensive. I had never thought of an OEM junkyard pull. Could you tell me a little more about your setup?

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just took all the stuff from the donor car & installed it on the El Camino. I had to fab a braket for the rear sensor to mount to. The compressor houses the motor, relay, & valve. The wiring harness & line goes to the back. One shock has two fittings on it & the other has one. The line goes from the compressor to the shock with two fittings on it. Then it goes from the other fitting & then to the other shock. I got a Cadilliac electrical manual & wired it up. I had to run one wire from the positive battery terminal to the compressor & a ground for the rear sensor. When the sensor completes the circuit it will either open the valve & release air or turn on the compressor. Depending on the height of the rear axle.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm I wonder how hard it would be to make it work on my truck. How heavy duty is/was the compressor? Do you think it would work with these big air bags if the stock application was air shocks?

I know they had an air ride auto leveling option on the light duty NBS trucks (the parents suburban has it) I think that system is probably all tied into the computer or something. Do you know of any other cars/trucks that had auto leveling (or any form of on board air for that matter)?

fun4me

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man I did this in the 80's. I don't even own the El Camino anymore. I've been doing some checking. The air shocks for a 88 Cadilliac Brougham & my 94 Silverado are the same. Looks like I may be going to the u-pull it tomorrow. The compressors are pretty good. It raised the Elky up fast with a 16 ft boat attached to it.