Air Bags for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 1/2 ton but I do tow things on occasion. That includes small utility trailers a horse trailer, and possibly a camping trailer.

I've never actually towed the camper with my truck that has always been the job of the NBS suburban with factory air ride suspension. But I can see the day when I might want to tow the camper and be able to put stuff in the truck bed that I couldn't load in the burb easily (think bikes, 4 wheeler, dirty stuff, etc) I have towed the horse trailer and it definitely squats the back end down lol. If it's fully loaded with horses again it's usually towed with the burb.

I'd like to be able to tow things better so I've had some interest in adding air bags to assist when loaded down whether that is with a trailer or a heavy load in the bed. Today when I was at the junk yard getting a bumper I noticed a gmt-400 tahoe that had some air springs on it. I asked the guy what they would charge for them and he told me about $75. I could probably barter down a little bit from that number. They didn't have any kind of controller that I could see just a valve that you could air up with an external compressor.

I'm seriously contemplating getting these. I don't tow all the time so airing them up manually is probably not a huge deal at the moment and I could add a compressor and controller later down the road I'd think.

My main concern is if these springs might have taken any hurt sitting deflated out in the sun,wind,snow,rain,heat,etc for who knows how long. To be clear they weren't squished. They were attached to the frame but the bottom had been detached since (if I remember right) they had pulled the rear axle so they were just hanging from the frame.

Thoughts?

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they should be fine if you cant see any visible issues (tears,cracking) etc. I have a set of firestones in my Yukon with a manual air up setup, i routed the wiring to my hitch and drilled a hole on either end of it for ease of airing up. I t is definatley nice having them though. Good luck.

I can snap some pics too if you like.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think they should be fine if you cant see any visible issues (tears,cracking) etc. I have a set of firestones in my Yukon with a manual air up setup, i routed the wiring to my hitch and drilled a hole on either end of it for ease of airing up. I t is definatley nice having them though. Good luck.

I can snap some pics too if you like.

Yeah I'm seriously considering going and taking a closer look at them and trying to barter them down a little bit haha

If you wanted to snap a couple pics that would be great! I'll try to post up a couple of pics that I took of them if I get a second this weekend.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had the Air Lift bags on my truck for over 10 years. The bags started to get some cracking but never leaked. I just replaced them since I needed new metal bases. They rusted out. I just bought a whole new bag setup. Kept my old comressor and gauges.

I also had the new bases powder coated this time.
I think those bags you're looking at should be fine.

Vigh_J

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I'm seriously considering going and taking a closer look at them and trying to barter them down a little bit haha

If you wanted to snap a couple pics that would be great! I'll try to post up a couple of pics that I took of them if I get a second this weekend.

No problem man, ill snap some pics asap.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had the Air Lift bags on my truck for over 10 years. The bags started to get some cracking but never leaked. I just replaced them since I needed new metal bases. They rusted out. I just bought a whole new bag setup. Kept my old comressor and gauges.

I also had the new bases powder coated this time.
I think those bags you're looking at should be fine.

Here's a couple of photos.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

If you don't mind me asking I'm curious what you had to pay for your new bags.

Also what kind of compressor/controller do you have and what did that cost?

No problem man, ill snap some pics asap.

sweet! thanks!

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if he is talking about the same setup that was originally on my brothers truck, they are roughly 300 for the bags and another 300 for the compressor gauge set up. They are good for someone who is going to air them up every so often to drag a camper trailer or something, but for his commercial use, they just aren't rated to lift and drop as much as he needs and hold the kind of weight he does. The air bags alone will lift the front end of my truck an extra foot or so off the ground. And at the dump I weighed in at 6100lbs. Now that being said, he does custom towing of damn near anything with his dually. I dont think you are looking to do anything that extreme. The air lift setup is great for guys who like I said pull a trailer on the weekends or something of that nature. The other thing you may want to look at is a weight distribution hitch. Im not sure what kind of hook up you are towing with, but they are designed for bumper pulls. They have two bars that preload the weight shifting it to both the front and back suspension of the truck. It makes a world of difference on the wifes little 1500 when towing the horse trailer. Who knows you may already have one. If not and you want more info, I can get some pictures of hers though there are several different styles. They all do the same thing in the same manor. Its just the way they hook up that is different.

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh and the bags will be fine if they didnt deflate them... and I cant see them taking the time to let all the air out.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh and the bags will be fine if they didnt deflate them... and I cant see them taking the time to let all the air out.

I've got a weight distributing hitch on the camper, but not on the horse trailer. The camper has much more tongue weight IIRC. Even fully loaded with horses the weight is pretty centered over the axles so the tongue weight is not a lot more than it is empty... unless someone loaded the horses stupidly.

With the compressor and gauge set up is that one that automatically turns on when the back end gets squatted down or do you just have a toggle switch in the cab?

How would I know if they had been deflated? Besides just trying to squeeze them? Would the air not slowly leak out on it's own? Please excuse my stupidity but why would deflation cause harm if they weren't loaded? Also what pressure range should they be maintained at when unloaded and loaded (after I get them on my truck)?

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tire pressure gauge on the air lines. Manufacturers specs say not to deflate past 5psi.

If the horse trailer squats your truck, maybe hook the trailer end of your weight dist hitch to it as well as the camper. I cant see the snowmobile trailer bugging your truck any so its not worth it there.

there are different compressor set ups. I believe the auto leveling one is more money.